SMC Discussion Areas
July 01, 2024, 09:28:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dixie Narco 368  (Read 4416 times)
BigChevy80
« on: March 04, 2009, 07:17:15 pm »

Hi all, newbie here.

I just picked up a Dixie-Narco model 368 CC/216-7 the other day.  Gave $200 for it, but recovered some of my investment when I found about $45 worth of change still inside the machine!  Also found about 40 cans of 2004 vintage soda.  Oo

i'm guessing this machine is probably from the early 90's, but can't seem to find a good place that provides serial number lists.  The serial number is: 0844-3112AN.  If someone knows how to date when it was made, that would be great.

It needs a good clean out of all the internals, as some of the cans leaked and got syrup all over, but seems like it works fine for the most part.  Only thing I can't figure out is the bill acceptor.  When you stick the bill in there, the motor runs and it will TRY to suck the bill in, but not very hard and it barely pulls it in 1/2 or so before trying to spit it back out.  Anyone know what might be wrong here?

I'd also like to re-wire the condenser fan to only run when the compressor is running, since I plan on putting it in my garage.  Is that going to cause any big problems?  Why do they leave the condenser running all the time anyway?  Seems like a good waste of electricity to me.

I'm not really a collector of soda machines, but I've always thought they were cool and wanted one for my garage to fill with beer! happydrinkers
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 07:34:43 pm »

Welcome to the group!

The bill acceptors usually have problems with dirty money  biggrin Open it up
and clean all the rollers real well.
      The evaporator fan must run constantly to keep the cans on top the same temperature
as the lower cans, and so as not to confuse the thermostat.

Glen
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 07:37:49 pm »

BC80,

Welcome to SMC and to the wonderful world of soda machine collecting.  Better make room in the garage for more because like Lays Potato Chips--you can't have just one!  On your condensor fan question, I don't know the technical answer but I suspect the constant running of that fan is to evenly disburse the cold air inside the machine cabinet for even cooling.  I don't know if your re-wiring idea will cause any damage but I don't think it will save you that much juice either.  I have a Cavalier USS-8-64 that is my everyday machine and I did not really notice much of a change in my Edison bill when I started leaving it full of pop and turned on all the time.  If your machine has a lighted front, removing the bulb might be a quicker and easier way to save a few Kw's.

I am sure that someone else here may be able to help you with your other questions.  This is a great group of collectors and everyone is willing to share tips and knowledge!

drinking Tim drinking
Basementgeek
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 02:59:55 pm »

Looks like an "Up Stacker".  Open the door, look at the bottom the acceptor and see if the bottom section pulls out.  If it does, clean the belts with alcohol (rubbing).

BG
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 07:43:42 pm by johnieG » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: