SMC Discussion Areas
July 05, 2024, 06:32:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A testament to the way things were built!  (Read 2164 times)
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« on: March 07, 2009, 10:39:03 am »

As stated in another post, I donated a WC-78 to my son's elementary school for their Silent Auction (part of their Spring Carnival). I had rewired the compressor and had it all working and functioning well except for one column, which had a broken tab on the column's selector plate.
The plan was for me to drop it off on Thursday so it could sit upright for a day before plugging in. People were supposed to be able to get a cold soda for 10 cents so as to promote bidding on it. All I told the person to make sure the power cord was pulled out fully when it was plugged in. I stopped by about 3pm to pick my son up from school, peeked in to see if it was plugged in - it was and I could hear the compressor, but I didn't check it out closer.
Well we went to the carnival at 5pm and about 6pm I got a call from the woman who coordinated all of the auction items. She said it wasn't accepting dimes. I went up and hit the coin return and got a soda, BUT it was not cold. I unplugged it and started checking it out. The power cord was not pulled all the way out and was blocking the condenser fan by the compressor - it had been this was for 4 hours!
I freed the fan blade up, plugged it back in and it didn't turn. I thought that the fan motor was shot and was praying that the compressor wasn't ruined. So I told the woman what had happened and suggested to just let people bid and I would replace the fan motor. If the compressor was ruined, refund their money.
I left it unplugged to cool down and went back in about 30 minutes, plugged it in and everything fired right up and started cooling down like normal. Whew!
I just couldn't believe it all still worked as I feared the worst after what had happened. They really did build things to last back then.
It brought $200, but considering what had happened that is not bad!
Oh well - the best laid plans....
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 10:41:53 am by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Pat Pixley
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 12:57:46 am »

That great Tom that you did do that for your son's school what a nice gesture.
I bet that did freak you out to find the cord still in there and it jamming up the blade
and the compressor not working  oh at that moment help 
But sound like thing turned out and the school did well .

Question are you going to deliver the machine to the lucky person   smile
and give the run down of the do's and don'ts  for the machine.

Dont leave the cord half way in to jam up fan.
Dont call me if you do  laugh
 you know that sort of stuff.

Pat
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 09:43:49 am »

Question are you going to deliver the machine to the lucky person and give the run down of the do's and don'ts  for the machine.

I offered to move it in for the lucky winner and they were given my cell number, but no call yet. It has to be out of the school cafeteria by tomorrow. I did type a sheet out saying what model machine it is and listed this site as a place to go for questions/answers and also a list of parts suppliers.

Who knows....maybe I just got somebody addicted!  tounge

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 10:06:04 am »

Excellent donation of your time and efforts ! ! !
A subtle way of getting exposure as well...

My six cents,

Jim

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: