SMC Discussion Areas
June 15, 2024, 11:17:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: La Crosse CCV-170-5B  (Read 7007 times)
91tbirdsc1
« on: April 23, 2008, 01:27:10 am »

Hi,
I am trying to find some information on this Pepsi machine (La Crosse CCV-170-5B).  I obtained it from a salon which was being torn down.  It is in almost perfect condition due to the fact that it, for some reason, had been left in a cavity and boarded over when the salon was remodeled in the early 1980s.  Even more bizarre was the  fact that it had been left plugged in during that time.  The result of this is that I now have a machine that is in mint physical condition except for the compressor, which must have burned out at some point during the 20+ year period.  Now, I know that this machine is likely not worth much however, I am wondering if anyone has any information on who to possibly contact, along with which model compressor would possibly work in this unit.  With all the new laws/regulations on refrigerant, I am hoping I can get one that does not use R12 as it is extremely pricey.  This obviously needs to be done by a professional, if it can be done at all.  If anyone has any info, please let me know.  I will post the model number of the current compressor in the unit as soon as I can get it.  By the way, it still had an original key taped to the back, approximately three dollars inside, as well as three cans of early 80s Pepsi. (though one had been frozen and burst).  Even the coin mechanism and light still worked (after a bulb change).According to the paperwork in the machine, it states that it is a Model 170-5B, instead of a CCV-170-5 as listed on this site.  I do not believe that there are any major differences?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Patrick
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 04:03:09 am »

Can you post some pictures of the machine? Without pics it will be hard to help.
91tbirdsc1
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 03:08:59 pm »

I will get some pictures of the machine as soon as possible.  It is currently sitting in my grandparents shop so that it will not get damaged.  It does look almost exactly like the sample image from this site other than the fact that my machine is Pepsi and the image here is a Coke branded machine.  I have had it for about a year now, and am just now getting around to doing something with it.  By the way, I had a refrigeration company tech look at the machine once when he was working on our homes A/C unit and he told me that one of the start windings within the compressor had shorted out.  This is why the compressor is bad.  On a side note, does anyone know if the La Crosse company is still in business?  I see a La Crosse company that sells bar equipment online, but I am unsure as to whether this is the same company, (although it appears to be).  Also, other than on this site, I have been unable to find anything on La Crosse vending machines so far.  Does anyone have any insight into the history of this company on the vending machine market?
Thanks,
Pat
91tbirdsc1
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 11:07:56 pm »

I forgot to add this earlier, but when we uncovered this machine from the cavity it had been left in it was still plugged in and the two condenser fans were still running (after 20+ years).  We kept the machine upright when we transferred it home and I let it sit for almost two days before attempting to plug it back in.  As soon as I plugged the unit in there was a loud pop and a flash as the plug actually blew off the side of the compressor.  One of the pins was badly burned, and that was the end of my testing.  It was about two weeks after this when I was told by the refrigeration tech who checked it for me that the start windings were shorted.  Since this is a compressor problem I will be opening a new post under the Refrigeration discussion area as soon as I get more info, (and pictures) on the compressor model.  I would however, gladly accept any information anyone else has on this particular La Crosse model.
Thanks,
Pat
91tbirdsc1
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 12:48:07 pm »

Well I finally made it to my grandparents to get some pictures.  Unfortunately, they not only turned the heat off, but they left the door open all winter.  Now the machine is filthy again, and the cans of soda they I put in the machine for testing have frozen and one burst during the winter.  Now I must clean it all over again so that the soda does not damage the inside of the cooler box.  Below are a picture of the machine front as well as the side of the compressor where the plug is (notice the damage to the lower right pin from the shorted start windings).  It is, according tho the tag inside the door, a Model No. LCV (ILL) 170-5B.  Not that this info is important, but it consumes 9.8 amps and uses 11 ounces of R12 refrigerant.  I was unable to actually read the plate on the compressor because it is behind the condenser fan.  I tried to take a picture of it, but was unsuccessful at getting a decent one.  Any info from anyone on this particular model would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 12:49:55 pm by 91tbirdsc1 » Logged
91tbirdsc1
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 12:57:54 pm »

Here are two more pictures.  The first is of the actual compressor and ID plate, and the second is of the inside of the machine (complete with the new mess that occurred over the winter).  If anyone can make out any of the numbers on the compressor plate, or if you recognize the type/model of this compressor, please let me know.  If you know what the spider to the lower right of the compressor is, I am curious about that as well as I have never seen this type of spider in this area before. smile
Thanks
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 10:15:02 pm by 91tbirdsc1 » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: