SMC Discussion Areas
June 17, 2024, 02:45:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Refilling 10-oz bottles  (Read 8046 times)
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 09:09:53 pm »

I am teaching metric, along with customary units of measurement to students right now.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
dr galaga
Soda Jerks

Sorry, but it's a POP MACHINE!

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 09:44:37 pm »

Good for you.  I used to teach an amateur (ham) radio class and my students had the toughest time converting.  Electronics and radiowaves are expressed in metric terms and some conversions are required for the FCC test.

Brent
--------------
Cavalier CS-80C
Vendo 63
--------------
The ultimate glass bottle soda site: www.GlassBottleSoda.org
My gameroom: Arcade80s.net
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 10:57:46 pm »

What's next the dollar being replaced by the Euro??

No - we just take the best of the best and discard the rest. Her Majesty didn't join in on the Euro-conversion!

Hey Dave,
By the way - I have a one pound coin from 1990 (at the latest) when I was in England (hasn't changed has it). I have to dig it out, but I was wondering whether your V56 (or your 39's for that matter) rejector and mech could easily be converted to accept the one pound coin - any interest in that?

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 12:44:04 pm »

Tom

No we Brits are holding on to our Pounds & pence for the time being. Can't imagine it would be for ever though.
Some have even raised the idea of being the 51st State rather than be taken over by The French & Germans.
I like the idea that we are out there going it alone for the time being.

As for the pound conversion that is definately something to consider. I'll PM you abvout the coin mech etc.

Dave
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 02:29:42 pm »

Quote (collecture @ June 07 2006,8:57)
but I was wondering whether your V56 (or your 39's for that matter) rejector and mech could easily be converted to accept the one pound coin -

Any coin that fits in either a nickle or dime cradle in the coin mech. should work, but a direct coin chute would have to be made.  The slug rejector is only doing it's job, accepting coins by size, weight and material and this may be hard to modify

Glen
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 04:57:37 pm »

Any coin that fits in either a nickle or dime cradle in the coin mech. should work, but a direct coin chute would have to be made.  The slug rejector is only doing it's job, rejecting coins by size, weight and material and may be hard to modify.

I was thinking of making up a modified straight nickel mech from some loose parts I have around here. Other denominations would go straight to the coin return cup, but the pound coin would go through like the nickel except it would not have the resilience or "bounce" test.
I did a little testing and the nickel slot on the mech would have to be enlarged slightly as the pound coin is almost twice as thick as the nickel. The coin entry slot on the bezel would also have to be enlarged, but only slightly (you could do this before chroming and no one would be able to tell).
I was only thinking of Dave maybe making a little money on the drinks and being able to use a common coin. The nickel slot on the mech should still work with a nickel, so he could put the original nickel/dime rejector back in and be back to original.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2006, 01:42:55 pm »

Any coin that fits in either a nickle or dime cradle in the coin mech. should work, but a direct coin chute would have to be made.

Well Moondawg,
It turned out to be a rejector chute (see pic). No magnet, no scavenger, no anvil - basically a shell of a rejector. It still works on a nickel because of the cradle and the fact that the pound coin and the nickel are about the same diameter, but who carries nickels in England. Other coins should just fall through to the coin return cup.

Sorry for taking over the refilling post - I have no more to say on this subject - back to refilling bottles!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2006, 02:37:36 pm »

Sure wish you could drop a pound coin through before we drop this subject.  You got me curious.  Also would the nickle slot in the coin mech need to be wider?  I don't know how I would do that!

Glen
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006, 03:00:16 pm »

I have a pound coin and it works fine.
As far as altering the mech, I would do it the same way I changed my V23 coin retainer plate from a dime to a nickel. I used a small file and filed away at the sides of each slot. In this case, you would just have to file down each side of the slot where the actuating nickel would sit. If Dave ever wanted to put the nickel dime rejector back in, it would still vend on two nickels or a dime. The pound coin, which is not quite two nickels thick, would not be able to fall back into the "first" nickel hole since it will not have been enlarged. I do have one slight concern with this theory- when the modified 'pound' mech is cranked over, will the pressure of the dog be enough to lodge the coin in the crank thus preventing it from dropping out into the coin box. I think if you could file it down consistently and form a small ridge on each wall of the nickel slot, this would give the pound coin something to 'sit in' and push against

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Victor C-14
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: