SMC Discussion Areas
June 28, 2024, 01:24:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nhra champion died  (Read 1965 times)
sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« on: February 12, 2006, 07:50:50 pm »

I just wanted to post a little note about one of my customers that just passed away. Mr. Jack Williams of Bakersfield recently died. He was known throughout the NHRA drag racing community. Jack was the first National Champion of the NHRA back in 1964. He beat out the likes of Don Garlits, Tommy Ivo and Don Produmne to win the Winter Nationals in 1964. The next year Jack retired from racing due to a serious crash that he almost burned to death in. Jack at one time owned Sears Point (Infinity) Raceway, Pheonix Raceway and currently owned the world Famous "Famoso Raceway" in Bakersfield. Famoso is World famous for the March Meets, this is where all the top fuel dragsters and funny cars would go prior to the start of thier season. It currently runs several Nostagic drags a year with attendance numbers above 30.000. People fly in from all over the world. It's pretty awesome to see the top fuel dragsters and funny cars from the 60's and 70's that I watched as a kid being restored to thier original condition and racing side by side. I usually help pit my friends AA/fuel alterd Fiat. Jack was also a pretty serious Pepsi collector. I had sold him a couple of machines to go with his house full of Pepsi Stuff. I'm gonna miss seeing him walk around the raceway with his Hawaiilian shirts, shorts and unlit cigar.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
coke_and_stuff
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 08:07:24 pm »

Sorry to hear about your loss of a friend, collector, and NHRA legend.

Joey

Collector of nice original paint machines

Vendo 81 B, C, D
VMC 81 Pepsi, 7up, RC, Generic
6CV Coke, RC, Pepsi
VMC 110 RC
Vendo 39
Jacobs 26
Mills 47
Selectivend 64 7up NOS
Plus 30-50 parts and project machines
Creighton