SMC Discussion Areas
June 01, 2024, 11:55:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weird smell around coke machine. Cause for concern?  (Read 3465 times)
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« on: May 11, 2014, 08:54:50 pm »

I hope it's okay I posted this here. I was going to get a soda from my mom's Coke machine, when I noticed a faint whiff of what smelled like Vaseline in the air around it. I did not notice the smell inside the machine, but near it. As far as I know there are no petroleum jelly products near the machine. I've also noticed a rust color puddle on the floor in front of the machine. Is it possible for compressor oil to smell like Vaseline? The drink inside are still pretty cool, and the fan was turning, though the compressor was not.

It may turn out to be nothing, but I'm concerned I'm dealing with a system leak. The machine is a late 70's Cav 64.

Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 09:06:20 pm »

Update: it sounds like the compressor is turning, and the system is blowing cold air. I can still smell Vaseline around it, though not a very strong or constant smell.
Yarochrehc
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 09:20:43 pm »

Is there any oil residue lying at the bottom of the compressor?

Bob

Restored
Vendo H63B  Coke in use in basement
Original
Vendo V/VF63/7  Pepsi in use

Restoring: Glascock Standard
(2) Vendo 63
(2)Vendo 90
Vendo 126  waiting for paint
VMC 56
Westinghouse WE-6
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:25:06 pm »

I can't really tell. The room does is not lit. I'll try to look again, with a flashlight. What should I be looking for? Black liquid with sludge in it?

EDIT: The room is not lit.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:43:25 pm by Pixel » Logged
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 09:42:30 pm »

I wasn't able to get a view of the compressor itself from the front. I did see something coming from the back of the machine, but that could be condensation mixing with rust on it's way out the machine. The drip pan looks fairly dry, but the large tube mounted to the outside of the evaporator is fairly wet.

There is a black liquid on the floor in front of the machine, with lumps in it. Was not able to confidently detect smell in liquid. So far the only definite cause for concern I've found is the Vaseline smell. I don't pick it up all the time though.

The system is still blowing cold air while the compressor runs.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:45:06 pm by Pixel » Logged
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 09:45:48 pm »

you could just be noticing water condensation, the smell you are experiencing could be that famous "Old refrigerator smell" (mildew) , check your drain pan ( you have one right?) make sure it's not over flowing & look under the evaporator for a standing puddle of water ( due to a plugged drain or the drain tubing...)

If it is leaking compressor oil ( it could be Mineral oil ( AKA "MO") if the system has R-12, or Polyester (AKA "Poly"/"PAG/POE") or Alkaline-Benzine oil ( AKA "AB") if it's a R-134a system), it would appear as an oily sheen on the base-plate or tubing, but unless there is a dye added to the system, either Ultraviolet or some other visible/colored dye, it can be hard to spot.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:49:18 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 09:53:41 pm »

I do see some water around the evaporator. The drip pan is fairly dry.

As far as I know the system is still running R12. Is it illegal to convert a system to R134a without installing special service fittings?

Is there supposed to be a hose going into the drip pan? I don't see one. What should I use for a hose and where should it be connected?
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 11:41:50 pm »

There is a black liquid on the floor in front of the machine, with lumps in it.

If the machine is not level or the drain is plugged, water will seep through the liner to the cabinet.......... which is sealed with tar.

Glen
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 11:56:23 pm »

Where should I look for the drain? From what I've seen in pictures, it's in the evaporator area, but I'm not exactly sure where around the evap to look.

It sounds like the cooling system is okay, but there is probably a problem with the drain, and possibly the cabinet. If some tar has come off the cabinet, how badly has that compromised the seal?
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 09:14:48 am »

The drain is directly under the bottle stack. It is of a large diameter so there is a cap underneath with a counterweight on it to keep hot air out of the cooling compartment. When the cap fills up, the water becomes heavier than the weight and it dumps into the drain pan, then closes again. This hinge often gets rusty and won't allow it to open.
      WD-40 and swivel it a few times. If you need to take it out, only 2 screws are holding the assembly in place.

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: