SMC Discussion Areas
June 26, 2024, 01:43:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Signs and "patina"  (Read 1639 times)
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« on: February 04, 2014, 08:55:19 am »

I wanted to show in example of where I think patina is okay. In fact I think it actually looks better than new old stock in certain situations. I have the sign in mint condition and I just picked one up with "patina"

There are million of these signs floating around and yes in great condition they do sell between $400 and up to $800 on eBay this past summer.

For example, when it is attached to an old bottling sign that also shows it's age because it was outside for 30-50 years. I could pull the ugly one off and put the really nice one on, but I just don't think you look right without any age. Anyone could take a board mount signs to it and do the same bottling company sign at the top and basically fake it. You could actually with paint weather the board to look old.

I think this is a situation where if everything looked too good it wouldn't look great like it does now. Now if this is sitting beside a fully restored Vendo 81 then it could look out of place. But beside a nice Vendo that shows it's age it would probably look better. It's all about what you like!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:42:06 pm by MaineT » Logged

Tim
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 10:30:09 am »

Ok, that's one of the best explanations I've read.

I do think the new crush sign looks really good, but the weathered ones just look damn cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: