SMC Discussion Areas
June 28, 2024, 01:45:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Auction items  (Read 2716 times)
cola62
Soda Jerks

« on: January 21, 2014, 11:21:35 am »

Have any of you ebver sent any items to an auction.  I am considering thinning down my collection.  There is an auction close by that usually is well attended and prices seem to get up pretty high on most items.  They charge the seller 20%.  Was wondering if this is reasonable or a typical amount.

Greg
cohammer
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 12:29:38 pm »

Hard to say , but I have had good luck getting the prices I want by placing adds on CL or Any site you are a member of. 20 percent is hard lick if you do not get top dollar for an item.

Ideal 35 RC
v 23 deluxe
v 39
c 96
c 55 e
C 51 g
C 72
C96
V 27
Westinghouse JR ice chest
Westinghouse standard ice chest
Westinghouse master ice chest
early model Stoner jr.
Stoner theaters
Thanks Jeff
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 12:45:56 pm »

I hate to say it but if it shippable ebay may still be the best game in town. largest audience of buyers and only 11 percent when you factor in paypal. I personally prefer to use craigslist but if you want top dollar I'd go with ebay
CocaMan
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 02:16:10 pm »

Yes, 20% is a pretty standard fee and probably will be 25% in no time.

Vendo 44 (original)
Jacobs 56 (original)
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 02:24:14 pm »

Thanks for the input, I was thinking of just doing this with some of the larger items.  Thermometers are easy to ship and seem to bring top dollar on ebay.  The last auction I was at a V-63 from about 1975(woodgrain) went for $700. It wasn't even in good shape.  I think people come to auctions ready to buy and get carried away most of the time.  I know it has happened to me plenty of times.

Greg
CocaMan
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 04:47:46 pm »

Absolutely, people get caught up in the excitement and pay more than they normally would.  It's so funny because I will see the same item in the parking lot of an auction in better shape and for less money and no one will buy it and then in the auction they will pay more for the same item in worse condition.  Just how it goes!

Vendo 44 (original)
Jacobs 56 (original)
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 05:48:15 pm »

Lots of auction houses work off a sliding scale. Check with the auction house you want bring the stuff to. If you bring enough stuff in, you can negotiate it down.  Remind him ebay takes 10% and that is still an option.

I would put the best stuff on ebay if its easy to ship.

The local near me gets top dollar to the point that I don't even go much anymore. They are on Live Auctioneers and AuctionZip live bidding, so you are basically bidding against the same collectors on ebay that we all think overpay!

Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: