SMC Discussion Areas
September 12, 2024, 11:07:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GM at it's best - Broken Seat Recliner handles  (Read 2669 times)
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« on: September 05, 2013, 09:08:04 pm »

I wondered if anybody here had problems with the seat recliner adjuster handles on certain GM products from the mid 90's - mid 2000's. The ones on my aunt's GMC Sonoma are broken off. I've read up on an aftermarket solution that looks like it might do the trick and not be too expensive. Does anybody here have any experience with this repair? It seems to be very common for certain models made during the time frame I mentioned above.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:10:03 pm by Pixel » Logged
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 06:01:52 pm »

This should get you started:
https://www.google.com/search?q=GMC+Sonoma+seat+recliner+adjuster+handles&oq=GMC+Sonoma+seat+recliner+adjuster+handles&aqs=chrome..69i57.5754j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Creighton
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 08:02:11 pm »

I'm sorry, I should've been specific. My previous research suggested a set of aftermarket handles designed to replace the originals on the end of the broken studs. I meant to ask if anyone here had their handles break and had tried this solution.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-20594-77199.aspx
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 08:41:55 pm »

That description doesn't tell us how it works but hopefully the hollow shaft inside the handle is beveled and needs to be hammered onto the broken stud before using the set screw.
         Dorman is a big name in the automobile fastener market so I would certainly give their product a try.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 08:53:11 am by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 10:25:27 pm »

Agree, Dorman is not run by fools. Should be able to give them a call to sort any issues.
Creighton
Pixel
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 04:55:42 pm »

Just a quick update. The seat handles are fixed and the seats work. My dad handled the repair work, he's the mechanically inclined member of the family. The Dorman kit worked, except the screws weren't long enough. The metal insert in each handle had for lack of a better term keys that went into slots on the broken stud. Those keys should've been tapered. He made it work though. Hopefully it will hold up a good long time now.

GM made the studs out of pot metaldarn Even though the Dorman kit isn't perfect, I'd say it's still a better deal than what GM did. I say that not being mechanically inclined myself.

The driver's seat was already broke. I finished off the passenger side on the trip to look at that Coke machine a couple weeks back. They're both fixed now though.  biggrin

Hooray for cheap but hopefully solid aftermarket parts!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: