SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 08:29:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glasco 50 disassembly  (Read 4680 times)
nightaviator

« on: July 27, 2013, 02:04:14 pm »

I recently purchased a Glasco 50. I would like to completely disassemble the machine to insure there isn't hidden rust on the inside of the cabinet. I'm at a loss as to how to remove the tank without cracking the Freon lines at the compressor so I can get the tank an refrigeration lines out of the cabinet. I'm hoping there's an easier way to take it apart. Also, if anyone has a lead on a manual for the machine, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Phill
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 02:08:40 pm by nightaviator » Logged

Vendo 44
Cavalier 27
Cavalier Junior
Glasco GBV-50
mygoose101
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 05:13:14 pm »

Are you breaking it down just to look for rust or are you going to restore/paint the machine?

Vendo 81A Original
Vendo 81B Original
Vendo 81D Restored
Vendo 56 Restored
VMC Pepsi 81 Restoredx2
Cavalier 72
Ideal Embossed Coke Slider
Stoner Theater Restored
Stoner Theater w/Gum Wheel Restored
Stoner Jr. Restored
Seeburg V200 Jukebox Restored
Seeburg 100C
Seeburg 100R
Seeburg 100W
nightaviator

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 08:59:00 pm »

Actually, both. I want to be sure the metal is sound before I repaint. I have it broken down to where I can do a limited check between the liner and cabinet. It looks like moisture accumulated in the insulation and caused internal rusting in the cabinet just below the loading door. I also discovered a couple pinhole rust throughs in the same location that will need to be repaired before painting.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 09:02:29 pm by nightaviator » Logged

Vendo 44
Cavalier 27
Cavalier Junior
Glasco GBV-50
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 10:18:25 pm »

You are right about being difficult to do and it's not really necessary, especially if this is your first restoration.
Tub is removed through the top but the cooling lines are "gooed" to it. So to do that, the main gasket and side breaker strips first have to be removed, then the liner/copper coils, rusted floor and compressor all have to be lifted out together.  darn
        My advice is to leave the rusted floor alone and paint the machine. You should be able to treat beltline rust on the body without removing the liner and if the day ever comes that the rust on the floor becomes an issue, everything can still be removed without damaging any painted areas.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 10:27:20 pm by MoonDawg » Logged

Glen
nightaviator

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 06:35:52 pm »

Thanks for the advice! For being a simple machine, it sure wasn't designed to be easily restored. I'm going to stabilize the inside rust the best I can, then refinish the rest. With light use, the existing rust shouldn't progress further. Thanks again!

Vendo 44
Cavalier 27
Cavalier Junior
Glasco GBV-50
ClassicCokeLover
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 07:39:24 am »

Don't try to lift out the compressor with the lines attached. Have the lines disconnected at the compressor, then the liner will lift out easily. Here are some pics of my restoration.

http://s397.photobucket.com/user/loopcross/media/Glasco%20Slider/IMG_0167_zps1519b904.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8

Glasco GBV-50 (original)
Glasco GBV-50 (restored)
Moderne Vendor 1920's Hershey Machine
5 Cent Hershey Machine NOS
Adams Gum Machine
nightaviator

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 06:42:46 pm »

Thanks for advice.  It became apparent that the lines would have to disconnected to get it fully apart. I think I'll stick with the plan of stabilizing the rust and refinishing the outside. I can swing the compressor out just far enough to refinish the lower area. The rust I can see is relatively minor. Plus, the restored machine will see light to modest use, so it should work well.

Thanks,
Phill

Vendo 44
Cavalier 27
Cavalier Junior
Glasco GBV-50
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: