SMC Discussion Areas
July 04, 2024, 07:56:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New project  (Read 2406 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: October 16, 2012, 09:03:05 pm »

I have finally hit the point in my classes where I will no longer have required machining projects so I ended up finding something tonight at an antique store to work on. It is an old hand crank white mountain ice cream machine in kind of rough shape but I have some pretty cool plans for it. I also like it because it is almost identicle except for a few minor details and the size to the two large 20 quart ice cream machines that we use to make every flavor of ice cream that we sell at my work. I think I am going to have some fun with this

Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:17:28 pm »

Love It! But Oohhh the memories... being the first kid.. I was the “motor” till my little brother was old enough.... my shoulder still hurt!
Keep us posted! smile

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:27:30 pm »

Love It! But Oohhh the memories... being the first kid.. I was the “motor” till my little brother was old enough.... my shoulder still hurt!
Keep us posted! smile

I will deffinatly keep you guys posted on the progress. I should take some pictures of the machines that we have at work. I used to watch them when I was really young and it was really cool when they let me run the same machines 16-18 years later. I need to get my drafting supplies out and make some drawings for the parts I need to make.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 10:11:30 pm »

Funny, spent many hours on the business end of one of those. Watch that the drain hole is free. Salt water getting into the tank is not good..
Creighton
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 11:09:03 pm by johnieG » Logged
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:42:12 pm »

Funny, spent many hours on the business end of one of those. Watch that the drain hole is free. Salt water getting into the tank is not good..
Creighton

I will be sure to keep an eye on the salt water level. Just curious but do you need to drain it while it is running? I know at work we open a valve near the bottom of the wooden barrel and let out the excess water and then put more layers of salt and water in but maybe since this is only making about a quart or two instead of 5 gallons at a time it does not need to be emptied as often. 

I'm actually pretty excited that this little machine is so similar to the large ones we use at work because that is my favorite job to do. Absolutly love putting the ice and salt in the machines and answering questions that little kids and adults have about what I am doing and how the machines work, flavors I am making and the history of the shop and machines. Once gave a 30 minute demonstration and lecture on a slow night on how we make the ice cream to a kid and his mom.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 01:24:43 pm »

It should self drain. Don't add any salt above the tank lid. Just ice to the top of the barrel. Seems like had to add salt and ice around three times per batch.
Creighton
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:27:21 pm by Creighton » Logged
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 01:20:47 am »

Here is a picture of the ones that we use at work. Each one is capable of making 20 quarts of ice cream at one time (although we only make about 3 gallons at a time) and during the summer we make about 20 or 30 cans of ice cream a day which we then put in the deep freeze overnight and by the next day they will be ready to go. Running these is my favorite job to do at work.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: