SMC Discussion Areas
June 01, 2024, 12:44:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions on this machine  (Read 5394 times)
Bob K
Soda Jerks

« on: July 01, 2004, 07:34:55 pm »

What do you folks think of this machine?  It's sort of different - all those crank handles on a square-topper...

What do you guys think?  Cool or goofy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6105903715

Bob
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 08:52:53 pm »

Well to me it looks like someone stuck to cardboard boxes togeather painted them and slapped on some stickers and said " hey we have a machine" Put it bluntly I sure wouldnt buy it
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 09:32:01 pm »

Yea , not one of Westinghouse's better ideas eh?
but I guess they had a lot of spare crank handles to get rid of in the back of the parts bins  ':p'

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
ussexplorer
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 02:19:15 am »

I have two of these machines. I'll give you my take on them. At least from what I can remeber since they are not with me right now. They do take cans, I have the instruction sheets that tells you how to adjust them for cans (Not on Me). 10 cans per rack. They won't take plastic or the bigger 20oz bottle? Can't remeber if I tried the small 8oz bottles or not, didn't have any 16oz? to try either. The instructions did not say what size of bottles. I like how small and light they are. Both are Coke machines. One with that style of diamonds on front and sign. The other is painted slightly differnt but same white all around / red front with no diamonds. The top has two doors. First one allows access to the coin mech/sign. The secound is to allow access to the cans. The bottom peice lifts off for service to the bottom unit, selection tags,  and compressor. The selection out tabs is a pain to service. Even cleaned an lubed they got stuck easily and thus people would think you still had coke in that slot. You can still turn the handles but you get a click sound. No it isn't the handle breaking. It is just to prevent the handle from breaking and allowing you to make a empty selection. I don't have the original coin mech anymore. I upgraded it and accidently chucked the old one. The other machine had a newer coin mech but it was missing the top part were the change slides down. The mech that came with the machine max was 35 cents. I have no idea when this machine was mfg. So if anybody has an idea I would appricate it. I would also appricate a complete set of instructions. I did see one other of these machines painted the same but with R.C. sign on the front and logo on the side. That is about it. If I remeber anything else I'll let you know. If you have any question I'll try to answer them. Reall not much to this machine since I don't have them up here in Boise Idaho.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 11:59:30 am »

If I may ask, You're in Boise (i'm in Mountain Home) Where are your machines located?  By the way, I think these machines are neat as all get out.  I don't know how they work or if they were popular, but they are so differnt they're cool.

Art
ussexplorer
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 11:58:26 pm »

First let me point out the machine on ebay is NOT my machine. After reading my post again it sounded like I was the one on ebay selling the machine. I got both of my machines for free so I couldn't see charging that price for them anyway.

Well technically I'm in Nampa, ID and the machines are located in American Falls, ID (240 miles or so from Nampa). I moved up to Nampa, ID about three years ago and didn't have a place to put the machines. When I finally moved into a place big enough to hold one of the machines I didn't know if I was going to stay. Until I answer that question, the machines will sit in American Falls. Luckly one is going ot my younger brother if he doesn't keep changing his mind. Let me give you the whole story on both machines.

The first machine I picked up from a person who stored beer in there garage. I can't remeber the year I got it or anything. 1989 or something like that. It was 100% complete. Key, Drip Pan, Coin Mech, Tabs for type of coke, and Small metal trim on bottom (I think it was this one). It shows signs of weathering. It has a minor dents and scrapes. I got some flat whit paint for the side ot keep it from rusting. Seems to be doing the job for now. The fan is a tad noisey. I oiled it to quiet it up. The whole entire machine could stand a new paint job to brighten it up. I changed the coin mech out to a newer one since the old one was a max of .35 cents. The coke dealer in the next town over had a coinco mech for $30.00. I inquired about getting additional history on the machine but they said any machine before a certain date would not be in the computer and thus the records was discarded. It then sat for a while in a basement, then moved to the local youth center. It servered well for many years until they got a new type of the line soda machine. I took it home and stuck it in the garage dads garage. It has been there ever since. The last time I checked it. The machine still ran just fine.

The other machine was sitting out at back of one of the places my dad worked. He asked around about it, They explained it was moved outside since it didn't work. The paint job was in better condition from being inside. Like new nice and shiney. This one has the four diamonds on it and the marquee/sign is slightly different. I would say a newer logo/desing. I'm afriad I cannot remeber the exact difference. The model number on this machine is the same as the other machine.The machine was missing a few items. Drip pan, portion of the coin mech, Lock, Lock bar was still there though and coin bin. This one is missing the chrome peice on the bottom. But it did come with some nifty instructions. Like how to adust the machine between cans and bottles. The only damage I did to this machine was trying to find a lock for it. I drilled the hole on the lock bar bigger since I couldn't find any locks to fit it. It is tight to lock and unlock. I figure one of these days I'll finish tinkering with it. This one currently sits down stairs at my dads house.

As for the vending it has the 6 selectors. Each selector is lined up to each row. Each tab for what type of product is lined up with each selector (To change the selection tab there is a wing nut and one side of the chrome peice comes out. Then you slide the plastic over.).  Each row as stated before takes 10 cans. The coin out light is nothing more than a christmas light or appliance bulb. From what I can tell the mech is the typical 117V jones plug unit. The light for the marquee is a typical singal florescent bulb you can get at any hardware store. The connector you see on the ebay auction hanging is the connector that goes to the marquee. So if you just want to unplug the light you just unplug the connector. You also do that to swing the top door all the way open. It has a bottle opener built into the door to.

The only other time I saw a machine like this was in pocatello idaho sitting outside the R.C cola distributor. It was painted all white and had R.C. cola logo on the side and on the marquee. After a few months it was gone.

I did make contact with another person in seattle who stated he has seen this particular machine around in the seattle area too. Not that I know how much that info helped me for determining exactly what I got. Especially for year.

I'm happy to see another person who enjoys old soda machines in this area.

One more thing I left out. You put the money in. Then turn the selector to the right until you soda falls out. As for fitting cans and such. If you notice on the ebay picture one of the racks towards the back fell. That is normal since the depth is adjustable on them. If I remeber correctly the instructions said something else about the selector down toward the bottom of the shute needing adjusted with some screws. I didn't bother with it since I didn't have bottles to fit the machine.

Later,

ussexplorer
ussexplorer
10 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 12:07:29 am »

Well the person was finally able to sell his machine. $202.50. That sounds about right to me. I always valued my machines around $100.00 or a little more. Since during the time I picked them up people was unloading machines in the 80's for free-$100.00 unless it was a classic. You know that pre-60's round top machine.

Oh, was it any of you that won it? Just wondering. Perhaps Arthur R in mtn home?

Later,

ussexplorer
ussexplorer
10 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2004, 02:55:49 am »

well I guess the word is out. Yet another machine. This one is in horrible condition. Most of it looks like it needs a good cleaning. But still starting price is at $100.00. This one shows the side/back of the machine and side paint job. This one has much brighter red paint. I wish I could go and look at my darlings. But they are just to far away. Seems to me both of the sides are white with drink coke and what not. The only read on them is the front lower panel. Here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....55&rd=1
ussexplorer
10 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 12:14:27 am »

Well yea another machine. This one is lighted and there is two in the picture. He is selling both of them in seperate auctions for 100.00 a peice

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....me=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....me=WDVW  -- less rust.
ussexplorer
10 Cent Member

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 04:24:56 am »

Another one of these machines. It is in pretty bad shape. Currently set for 100.00 with reserve. Non-Lighted sign, and does cool. Located in Washington.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....51&rd=1

later,

Josh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: