SMC Discussion Areas
June 20, 2024, 10:14:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing an agitator  (Read 6732 times)
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 01:01:05 pm »

What's an agitator?

A lot of stuff.
Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 09:44:56 am »

Thanks guys, I hope I am not making this harder than it needs to be. Here is a picture of the compressor and agitator wires hooked up, I now question if any of it was wired correctly. I respect electricity way too much to dare plug it in till I find out for sure biggrin

So I guess I need a crash course in compressors too, so I think the start cap johnieG spoke about is the the cap with the two posts located to the left in this picture.  I am guessing the post, from top to bottom would be Black Hot, White Neutral and Red (green wires)2nd Hot.

On the power supply line in I have the white neutral leg going to the start cap, black leg on black terminal  and red leg on red terminal. There is another jumper wire from the second post on the start cap to the white Neutral terminal on the compressor.

The main power line runs into the thermostat control box to a junction board of sorts before heading up to the compressor, looks to be some sort of contact inside that box (other than the thermostat control assembly) probably the capacitor johnieG mentioned before.

Any suggestions or recommendations on how to proceed are welcome    help
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 06:32:40 pm by Blind1968 » Logged

~ Bryan
Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 10:35:39 pm »

Well I finally worked up the nerve to plug it in and nothing.... not even a spark, pop or small explosion  glare After a quick voltage check I traced it back to the solenoid (of sorts) on the compressor deck, upon closer inspection there was a broken wire on that solenoid.  So after a little solder we were ready for round two. Plugged it in and she fired up and began cooling, every thing was working correctly to include the agitator.  

Now that I know it all works it's time to get it cleaned up and painted happydrinkers  

Thank you to everyone here for all the assistance
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:30:00 am by Blind1968 » Logged

~ Bryan
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 12:49:00 pm »

Well I finally worked up the nerve to plug it in and nothing.... not even a spark, pop or small explosion  glare After a quick voltage check I traced it back to the solenoid (of sorts) on the compressor deck, upon closer inspection there was a broken wire on that solenoid.  So after a little solder we were ready for round two. Plugged it in and she fired up and began cooling, every thing was working correctly to include the agitator.  

Now that I know it all works it's time to get it cleaned up and painted happydrinkers  

Thank you to everyone here for all the assistance

Scary as hell plugging it in for the first time, isn't it?   I have a power strip that has an on-off switch.  I use that so I'm not holding the plug in my hand when it contacts electricity for the first time.  I usually have a fire extinguisher standing by and turn my head away as I flip the switch!  laugh

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 01:12:54 pm »

Nice work!  Yeah plugging in is always sketchy, I definitely get a good adrenaline rush every time I plug in an old machine.  A good quick test is to take a multimeter and check for continuity on the plug terminals to ground, that way you at least know you there isn't a bad ground anywhere.

Blind1968
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 01:34:22 pm »

Good ideas for the next one. Yes its always the heart thumping when you fire them up for the first time. Cool 

~ Bryan
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: