SMC Discussion Areas
October 05, 2024, 06:39:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about wet coolers  (Read 2213 times)
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« on: July 08, 2012, 10:15:39 pm »

Ok, so I went to the flea market today and someone was telling me that he used to get cokes out of the wet coolers at the corner store way back in the day. He told me something that I just wanted to see if there is any actually truth to and I figure there is someone here that might know... He said that the wet chests were taken out of use due to sanitary reasons of having the stale water in public places and around food. I mean I can see that today, but back in the 40's for 50's this seems a bit far fetched.

Tim
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 11:53:11 pm »

I can see that being the case. Great marketing gimick to replace old machines. CC is no slouch in that department.
There is also the post WWII trend towards pay and get your product on the go, rather than the corner grocery.
Gober has a coin-op outside the gas station making money 24/7. The grocery has the wet chest with kids nicking a soda now and again.
Creighton

Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 07:13:37 am »

There was also a wax bag available to put the bottle in and keep from dripping all over. They show up on Ebay now and then,

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 07:44:02 am »

They weren't sanitary because the owners never changed the water, they just "topped" it off, so you end up with a big wet swamp filled with coke bottles & with all those dirty hands touching the water to-boot...you get the picture.   glare

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: