SMC Discussion Areas
June 18, 2024, 08:48:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello & CSS-64F Restoration Suggestions  (Read 2920 times)
booker1978

« on: July 10, 2012, 11:29:10 pm »

Hello all! I have always liked the looks of the early square top machines, and finally jumped at doing a complete restoration of a CSS-64F machine. I have been snooping around this forum for a while and picking up an amazing amount of info... thanks!

Because this is going to be MY machine, I am toying with the idea of getting much of the 'innards' powder coated. Obviously, I want the liner and shelves coated, but am curious of how much of the vending mechanism people have power coated without having fitting issues due to the thick coating. Any direction and/or suggestions from people that have done something similar would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon
Euless, TX
Roadman
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 06:48:39 am »

Machine looks great.  You may want to have the compressor rebuilt or buy a new one.  Good luck with your restoration. Don't spare any expense.  I think there is some chrome on this mode, get the pieces rechromed vs. polishing.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:38:38 am »

Hello all! I have always liked the looks of the early square top machines, and finally jumped at doing a complete restoration

Any direction and/or suggestions from people that have done something similar would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the group Booker.  Most of us would jump on a machine as nice as yours because it is so original and does NOT need restoring. That paint will buff out real nice and the interior can be dealt with without a teardown. Lesson # 1: it's only original once.
      My suggestion would be to detail this machine to the max ......and use it. Within weeks, another one will follow you home that is just begging for a restoration.
      Your model is my favorite squaretop and as Roadman suggested, chrome plating really tops it off.
      Here is one with a polished stainless insert added behind the coin bezel.

Glen
booker1978

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:54:28 am »

Thanks for the great suggestions. I would love to keep the paint original, but the top of the machine has quite a bit of surface rust and lifting paint chips. The rest of the machine looks pretty good. Bummed about the top though. I love the polished stainless plate that you put behind the coin bezel. Hmm... Ideas are a brewing!

Brandon
Euless, TX
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 12:10:10 pm »

Well go ahead and paint the top!  happydrinkers

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: