SMC Discussion Areas
July 01, 2024, 10:49:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: painting question  (Read 4811 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: May 26, 2012, 01:50:06 am »

Hey guys can anyone recomend a paint to use on the inside of a machine that gets heavy use and is going back into service? (It is a lacrosse can vendor maybe 134 or something like that)I would like to treat the rust and paint the parts to make they look a little bit nicer instead of rusted up pieces of metal with junk all over them. I was thinking using hammertone on them but not 100% sure if it would be the best. The parts I plan to paint are the plate that holds all the vend gates and paint some other parts but the vend gate shelf is the main part that I want to take care of. Also got to get some POR-15 for the drip pan since that thing is just nasty. I don't know what that stuff is but what ever it is there is the nastiest mold growing on there that I have ever seen.
jrwienri
5 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 09:40:18 pm »

POR 15 or Dupont Imron
Jeff

Vendo 81D
U-Pop-It
Haweye Peanut Warmer
Bally Lucky Alley Contact Ball Bowler
Williams Gold Mine Shuffle Bowler
Williams Funhouse Pinball
Seeberg 3W1 Wall Box
Seeberg 3WA Wall Box
Stoner Jr with Gum Wheel
Numerous Vintage Gas Pumps
Numerous Vintage Cars
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:50:46 pm »

I'm a big fan of POR-15, used it to coat the trunk and floorpans of my Spitfire.  That was 10 years ago and it still looks new.   

One thing - if you use POR-15, PLEASE use a respirator or at the very least paint in an extremely well ventilated area.  The fumes contain isocyanates - nasty nasty stuff.

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Kaleid20
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 10:02:34 pm »

Big vote from me on POR 15. Used it on my 63 trailer frame that had surface rust. Sanded it a bit, then just applied. Looks fantastic. Thinking about applying it in my We6 on the metal crossbars that hold up the tub.

Vendo 81D, 56, 44, 23 standard
Westy WE-6, WD-5, WH-5T
Cavalier 51, 72, C-12
Victor C-18
Dr Pepper Vendo 90
Dole Super Dispenser
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 11:13:53 pm »

Long sleeves and gloves as well. If you get on your skin it won't come off.
Creighton
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 12:13:00 am »

Appreciate the advice everyone!  Just replaced a floor pan in my Nova and was thinking of doing the whole floor with POR15, sounds like nasty stuff to put on, but great once it's on.  I learned my lesson with spray can insulation, took an entire week to get it off my hands.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: