SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 04:14:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A couple of cases of old bottles  (Read 2903 times)
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« on: May 22, 2012, 12:03:07 pm »

Along with the V80 I recently purchased, I received two wooden cases filled with the 6.5 oz bottles.   I wasn't really all that interested in them, but I guess they'll make nice decoration and the lady gave them to me.  The wooden cases are in pretty poor shape cosmetically, but they are solid so I'll probably leave them as-is.  

My question is - what to do with the bottles?   I know virtually nothing about old coke bottles, although I understand there is a community of coke bottle collectors, it's not really my thing.  

Is it OK to wash them and clean them up for display, or is there some value to the 'patina' (or, dirt if you want to be honest) that is on them?

Thanks!
Jim
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 12:19:24 pm by jholmgren » Logged

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 12:26:31 pm »

Stick them in the dishwasher a couple of times and re-use them...
Buy yourself a capper from a homebrew store and top them up with the 2 litre bottles of coke.
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 12:35:55 pm »

Stick them in the dishwasher a couple of times and re-use them...
Buy yourself a capper from a homebrew store and top them up with the 2 litre bottles of coke.
Cheers Dave - that is an EXCELLENT idea!  There is a home brew store not 10 minutes from my house!   happydrinkers

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
briandr1
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 04:07:18 pm »

I would boil the bottles first then thru the dishwasher a cpl times to insure you steralize them. happydrinkers

selectivend 64 sa
2 cavalier 96
1975 bally hi deal em pinball machine
1920 wate and fate penny  scale
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 06:00:19 pm »

They will have sanitizer and a bottle brush at the home brew. If there is nasty build up a soak in toliet bowl cleaner first helps. Nasty stuff eye protection and gloves.
Carefull with the dishwasher. Not sure it will get the insides clean and the heat may break the bottles. Let us know how it goes.
Creighton
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 06:08:20 pm »

They will have sanitizer and a bottle brush at the home brew. If there is nasty build up a soak in toliet bowl cleaner first helps. Nasty stuff eye protection and gloves.
Carefull with the dishwasher. Not sure it will get the insides clean and the heat may break the bottles. Let us know how it goes.
Creighton

I have some sanitizer and a bottle brush for my home brew ( root beer) kit, so after a spin in the dishwasher I will sanitize them and wash again.  I have a dishwasher that does not use a heating coil so I'm not too worried about running them through it.

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 06:23:44 pm »

Good deal!! Broke some bottles in my dishwasher. Hell of a mess :-)
Creighton

mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 09:28:40 pm »

See this post for everything that you will need to clean and re-fill bottles.  Bleach is the best sanitizer and it is cheap!

http://soda-machines.com/discussions/index.php/topic,8738.0.html

drinking Tim drinking
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: