SMC Discussion Areas
July 01, 2024, 02:40:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: V81 Bottle Door  (Read 2254 times)
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« on: February 23, 2012, 06:05:33 pm »

I am getting ready to re-assemble the bottle door on my Vendo 81B, is there any trick that you guys have learned over the years to make it easier?  Tks.  M

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:33:30 am »

It is my least favorite part of the restoration, so any tips tricks would be helpful...

I always find it a bit easier to put some windex on the new foam gasket when triing to get the metal housing into those grooves.. I usually end up sliding them in from one side in the channel... the windex helps.. but makes a mess,, lots to clean up afterwards...

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 11:20:35 am »

I will give that a try, tks. I have been avoiding it for as long as I can 

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
BrianS
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 12:58:45 am »

Well after some time away from being able to work on my 81, I finally got to put a couple hours in this weekend.  Last time I got to work on it, I managed to tackle getting the bottle door back together.  This time I wanted to get the door lighting rewired with a new ballast.  Got the wiring redone and the bulb back in place.  Everything lit up and looked good.  Put the bottle door in place, turned on the light and ARRGGGGGG darn darn darn.  What wasn't apparent without a light shining right on the door was the dust and fingerprints that I missed all over the center piece of plexiglass.  After kicking myself for not being more careful and realizing the problem before putting the door back together I realized it would bug me forever if i didn't fix it.  So I had to take it all apart and clean up then reinstall.  Lesson learned I guess, but I am with John on these doors.  For all of the other great design aspects of these machines, the doors are a pain in the .....!

Brian

Vendo 56 - restored
Vendo 81 - in progress
Vendo 39 - in the rough
Rockola 1428 - Original
1959 Williams Pinch Hitter
Wurlitzer 1400
1930 Koken Barber Pole
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 02:58:26 am »

couldn't agree more