SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 10:06:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long would you guys wait?  (Read 5801 times)
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 10:00:05 am »

I feel your pain.

One thing I have noticed in this hobby is that so many of us make a living on the side with our restorations.  I do not.  The reason I turn down offers(constantly) to restore stuff is that I can not dedicate the time to do it the way I do my own restorations.  I also don't want the hobby I love turn into "work". The good news is that the economy seems to be coming back due to the fact that the wait is so long to spend $5000-$6000 on a soda machine restoration.

I still think that the popularity of such shows as American Pickers and American Restorations, have made "cool finds" much harder to come by.  Everyone's square top is now worth $1500 or so the seller thinks it is.

The people who make money on restorations (and I do not begrudge them a bit) have benefited due to the shows popularity, but the true collectors have not.

Just my.02

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
jbachman2
5 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 10:12:30 am »

Okay, thank you for the replies.  I mostly just wanted to vent my frustrations on the slider not being done.  It's hard to think I would have it by Thanksgiving and then not have it, and then think I'd have it by Christmas and not have it, and then to be told I'd have it by the end of the year and not have it.  Super Bowl is the next time I am having people over and since this is THE BEER DRINKING Holiday of the year I really wanted to be able to cool 75 beers!  Hopefully he will get it to be by then but if not I will take what you guys have told me into account.  I'd bring my Westy 78 home for the party if it wasn't such a pain in the arse.

He has sent me pictures and it is primed and all the body work is done so as of two weeks ago it needed paint and reassembly. 

thanks again...

My Machines:

Ideal 55 Slider
Westinghouse WB-78-66-D
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 10:25:48 am »

There is a world of difference being told there is  wait, before dropping off the machine and being promised a delivery date that keeps gettng missed without acceptable reasons or the minimum contacting the customer.

I've missed deadlines  due to outside  factors, and did what it took to make things right  for our customer.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Roadman
25 Cent Member

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 11:00:11 am »

I have had three items at two restorations houses since 7/1/11 or earlier. They are all overdue by many months but there were unexpected delays. The challenge seems to be with the chrome work and paint work. Good chrome work takes time and most places are backed up. Good outside painters that are willing to take the time needed to complete a restoration are hard to find. My sense is that most painters want to paint cars, not old vending machines which adds another dimension.  The restoration houses should probably quote a best case/worst case scenario on when the work will be done and factor in all lead times and potential issues.

With that said, I'd rather wait a little longer and have world class, museum grade restorations than to have an Earl Sheib paint job or spray on chrome with sloppy mechanics. I'm glad that my machines are at places that won't cut corners to get the work done right and I'll wait a little longer under those circumstances. Hang in there.
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 11:14:41 am »

Well said Roadman

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 12:18:01 pm »

I repair/restore the mechanical mechs, but that is all I do with regards to restorations. It is enough to keep me busy, but not interfere with daily life too much. Too many factors (for me) in restoring the whole machine for others - chrome work, body & paint - things I don't personally do and the quality is out of my control.

If the machine is mine to keep, then it is a different story. After doing the Westinghouse WB-60, I feel confident enough to tackle most any machine. Being the "foreman" for your restoration allows you to control the time frame better, but that is not to say you won't have setbacks. THE challenge (for me) is finding the right people to sub jobs out to - i.e. body & paint, chrome, refrigeration, etc. Thanks to this site, most of that is covered - painting being the only localized job. I hope to more machines soon - restoration of anything is a fun & rewarding project!

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
Roadman
25 Cent Member

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 08:17:09 pm »

Any luck on getting your machine for the SuperBowl? 
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: