SMC Discussion Areas
July 04, 2024, 01:33:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coca Cola Cooler Lids  (Read 5098 times)
SSmoothie
10 Cent Member

« on: December 29, 2011, 01:39:27 am »

Anyone successfully removed, I mean taken apart in two pieces, and repair a Westy Jr/Standard/Master lid? I have a few embossed type that have small rust holes that need fixed.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 01:42:09 am by SSmoothie » Logged

Vendo 44
Firestone Refer (sold)
Westinghouse Master (sold)
Westinghouse Standard (sold)
Westinghouse Junior
Westinghouse Half Junior
2 Dole Super Dispensers
Coke Cooler
Some Signage
TARANDY24

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 04:43:36 pm »

I have the same issue! I was thinking about just cutting the embossing out and welding it to a new piece of sheet metal. Carefully of course. I have another set of master lids with no rust they look great. i will be restoring two masters I bought at an auction. Both are in pretty good condition except for the one set of lids. Which chest do you have? Are you restoring it? Gotta any tips for me! I am a rookie, need to get paint off but no access to a blaster so I am just gonna use a grinder. What kind of wheel should I use if you know.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 04:56:06 pm »

I'd go easy or not at all with a grinder.
Paint stripper and a wire wheel should get the paint off without damage to the lettering.
Creighton
SSmoothie
10 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 05:28:00 pm »

I agree I would not use a grinder. Paint stripper or sand blasting is the best way to go. I'm doing my Westy Jr. right now. Its going to my friends autobody shop and he does everything for me.

Vendo 44
Firestone Refer (sold)
Westinghouse Junior
Westinghouse Half Junior
2 Dole Super Dispensers
Coke Cooler
Some Signage
TARANDY24

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 10:05:25 pm »

I see that you have several coolers, did you do them yourself? Wouldn't happen to have a cap catcher laying around would you? I want to do this right. what type of wire wheel and stripper should be used? Did you get the compressor and other mechanicals restored?  I have a closed front and an open, both are electric, but the open one I just want to make into a cooler. Would you or anyone else that reads this, suggest filling in the slot in the back for the wires or just leaving it with the wire cover on it just in case a future owner would want to convert it back. Should I get the handles and hinges chromed or just clean and polish them, how were they originally? Anyone know? Anyone have an extra "1941 COOLERS MANUAL" THEY CAN SELL ME?  I would like an original, but even something photocopied would help me for reference.I am trying to gather all the information I can before I start this restoration, so that when the weather breaks here in Northern Indiana I will be confident to start. Thank you all that respond to my posts and I think this community of soda pop collectors is special. Everyone is so willing to take the time and respond to give their input to help others acquire their vision.
SSmoothie
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 03:07:40 pm »

I see that you have several coolers, did you do them yourself?

My Master is in really nice shape I'm just missing the compressor. The Standard is kind of in pieces. The Junior is ready for paint. I do the cleaning and parting out and take them to my body man and painter.

Wouldn't happen to have a cap catcher laying around would you?

No extra cap catchers, it a hunt to find one in good shape but worth value with the original type. Or vendors on this site have new you can buy.

I want to do this right. what type of wire wheel and stripper should be used? Did you get the compressor and other mechanicals restored?

I have never used a wire stripper wheel, would know which one to recommend. As for compressor I haven't decided, I may go with new if I can't find an original.

I have a closed front and an open, both are electric, but the open one I just want to make into a cooler. Would you or anyone else that reads this, suggest filling in the slot in the back for the wires or just leaving it with the wire cover on it just in case a future owner would want to convert it back.

I would leave it original so at anytime it can be covert back.

Should I get the handles and hinges chromed or just clean and polish them, how were they originally?

Chrome looks nice, but for value I would just polish them.

Anyone know? Anyone have an extra "1941 COOLERS MANUAL" THEY CAN SELL ME?  I would like an original, but even something photocopied would help me for reference.I am trying to gather all the information I can before I start this restoration, so that when the weather breaks here in Northern Indiana I will be confident to start. Thank you all that respond to my posts and I think this community of soda pop collectors is special. Everyone is so willing to take the time and respond to give their input to help others acquire their vision.

Some of the vendors here have the manuals. Finding Anything original is keeping your eye out on sites that sell or posting in the want sections. It seems to me that east coast you will have a better chance of finding parts than us on the west coast, check antique stores in your area.

Note: any part, lids or cap catcher with rust holes is expensive to fix unless you can do it yourself, some lids go on ebay for $100 or more  but may have rust hole on them, to fix it right you need to take them apart pay someone weld pieces in the rusted areas, add some stop rust primer and paint, this could cost over $100. I'm just saying you can have $300-400 in just the lid by the time it is complete.

Vendo 44
Firestone Refer (sold)
Westinghouse Junior
Westinghouse Half Junior
2 Dole Super Dispensers
Coke Cooler
Some Signage
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: