SMC Discussion Areas
June 26, 2024, 01:46:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 44 Fridge Conversion  (Read 3027 times)
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« on: January 04, 2012, 11:31:50 am »

I contacted a seller about a Vendo 44 that has been converted to a fridge with 3 shelves.  What peaked my interest was that the seller claims that the conversion was a factory change from Vendo, and this was confirmed by the Coca-Cola company.  The machine is up in Canada. Here's what he had to say:

Like mentioned in the ad, I didn't know much about these machines and when looking at the model# 44 online, all images were with the vending mechanism and inside had  a north/south rack so I found online and emailed the vendo company, the coca cola company and some people like American pickers/ Canadian pickers. The only response I got was from a rep from  the coca cola company who informed me that there was a "by special order only" version of the 44 that had no vending mechanism and fridge racks. He said he didnt know much else about the
Model version, whether it was always produced with embossed lettering and no logo on sides or what and suggested I ask these questions to the vendo company. I have, and never received an email back from them. After seeing the pics of my machine the cola rep thought it was a possibility that my fridge may have been repainted at some point. That's really all I know. I don't know anything about the vendo company converting models themselves, I thought they were built that way originally.
In terms of original documents, all i have are 7 original 1950s coca cola albany, NY routing bills that I found inside the machine along with 3 full small bottles of cola. I have no idea when the bottles are from since there's no date but the bills are dated and in pretty good condition.

collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 11:51:40 am »

He is trying to sell his story is all.
I've never seen that type compressor in a 44 either - is it a compressor?

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 12:04:15 pm »

When that machine was retired from service, Coke stripped the vending and coin mech.s to keep the competitors from using it, then left it on location.
        Shelves were often added by the proud new owner.

Maybe there is a warehouse somewhere with all those racks, coin mech.s and coin doors that have been in storage collecting dust for the last 50 years?
        If so,we know American Pickers will sniff them out.  biggrin

Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: