SMC Discussion Areas
July 07, 2024, 04:03:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on signs  (Read 2267 times)
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« on: October 01, 2011, 05:25:33 pm »

Hey all,

Just thought I'd pick your brains on a couple of signs. The first sign is a 30" bottle thermometer. I got it years ago and didn't pay a lot for it. Did they reproduce it? I've always wondered if it is an older thermometer on a new board, or if both the therm. and board are new.

The other is a wooden sign. I didn't take the measurements on it, but it is almost the length of the couch it hangs above. I may have posted it on here years ago, I don't remember for sure. How old do you think it is? Any way to tell?

Anybody have any Veep signs?   happydrinkers

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 09:30:18 am »

Here is what I know, or at least think.
The thermometer sign, yes the wood is a newer addition, the therm of that size has been reproduced.. the repros have a red back on them... so you'd have to remove it.. the originals should be a grey ish color...

The wood sign is a cool loooking one.. I know the advertising depicted is old,, i've seen it on smaller signs, but have not seen it on the big ones, especially wood... again condition is everything, so even if it's original , I wouldn't think worth a whole heck of a lot,, still very cool sign and worth hanging onto.. can't give a value other than what I'd pay for somethign like that? probably 100 or less..

The other grouping , the three coke ones are nice originals... not sure on Veep.

Nice stuff.. thanks for sharing.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 10:05:16 am »

Heard VEEP was a Sprite type of soda made up East (maybe bottled by a New York Coke Bottler) And the Home Headquarters put a stop to it.
Hard to find, especially the bottles.
That silouette was made around 1941... then some signs went to wood or masonite due to WWII
Dont' know of that sign being reproduced not that size and in wood anyway.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 06:53:24 pm by Eric » Logged

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 05:14:08 pm »

Here is what I know, or at least think.
The thermometer sign, yes the wood is a newer addition, the therm of that size has been reproduced.. the repros have a red back on them... so you'd have to remove it.. the originals should be a grey ish color...

The wood sign is a cool loooking one.. I know the advertising depicted is old,, i've seen it on smaller signs, but have not seen it on the big ones, especially wood... again condition is everything, so even if it's original , I wouldn't think worth a whole heck of a lot,, still very cool sign and worth hanging onto.. can't give a value other than what I'd pay for somethign like that? probably 100 or less..

The other grouping , the three coke ones are nice originals... not sure on Veep.

Nice stuff.. thanks for sharing.

I can check the back of the thermometer. Either way, it's not a big deal. Didn't pay a lot for it and it has been in the back of a closet for a while. It's more of a decorator piece.

I'm not too concerned about the value of the wooden one. It was a gift about 16 years ago or so. I think it is original due to it's make-up and size. Too much trouble to make a new one like that.

I know the grouping, including the Veep, are all originals. Thanks. I was just wondering if anybody else had any other examples.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: