SMC Discussion Areas
June 01, 2024, 05:19:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rare Cup Machine  (Read 8647 times)
vend_dr
25 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 05:17:52 pm »

I would assume that this was a non carbonated dispenser as the ad I have say's "Orange Drink" where yours has "root beer".

The add also goes on to say that the machine "is completely self-contained and requires no city water connections, vend the Nation's leading fruit flavored drinks at 5 cents or 10 cents.

I also have a story about Automatic Products signing an agreement to manufacture this machine in Nehi Yellow color, which at the time Nehi had several non carbonated drinks on the market.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 05:19:57 pm by vend_dr » Logged
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 07:00:11 pm »

Yep automatic products is APCO. The A from Automatic The P from Products and Co for company  biggrin If I relember right they changed the name to APCO later in the company life.
vend_dr
25 Cent Member

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 08:10:13 pm »

Yep automatic products is APCO. The A from Automatic The P from Products and Co for company  biggrin If I relember right they changed the name to APCO later in the company life.

Automatic Products did not change their name and the brand is still alive today, but now owned by Crane Merchandising Systems who also own National Vendors and Dixie Narco.

APCO was spun off as a separate company.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 08:48:50 pm »

Cool! Good knowledge. But your saying that the vending machines were first Automatic Products and then APCO correct?  That is basically what I meant. From the very few machines of theirs that I have seen it seems like the older versions said Automatic Products and later machines Said APCO? Is that observation correct? I am not telling I am asking as you seem well informed on the topic. I may be wrong as their products don't come up much.
vend_dr
25 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 09:13:03 pm »

Cool! Good knowledge. But your saying that the vending machines were first Automatic Products and then APCO correct?  That is basically what I meant. From the very few machines of theirs that I have seen it seems like the older versions said Automatic Products and later machines Said APCO? Is that observation correct? I am not telling I am asking as you seem well informed on the topic. I may be wrong as their products don't come up much.

You are correct the older machines would be the ones with the Automatic Products name. Automatic Products was purchased by Gross Givens Manufacturing in 1935 but continued to run as Automatic Products until 2006 at that time Crane Merchandising Systems purchased the business but continues to produce machines under the Automatic Products name. Sometime in the late 40's or early 50's (I personally believe 1949) Automatic Products spun off the beverage part of the business (Automatic Products kept the cigarette line only) into APCO. I suppose if you want to get technical APCO was still owned by Gross Givens but run by separate management. Later APCO was absorbed by Vendo - I have yet to find information on when this occurred.

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes but Automatic Products has a special meaning to me as I have been an Automatic Products technical support representative for the past 7 years.  I have done extensive research on the companies early history. It took a post on an Automatic Products machine early this year to re-ignite my desire to find out the truth about the Automatic Products and APCO relationship. I found the answer in a Billboard Magazine from 1960's which explained some of the early history of Automatic Products. I feel 95% sure the above information is correct but if anyone has a different opinion or additional information I would love to see it.

Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 09:47:06 pm »

Good for you sir chasing the history. It will all be gone soon without such efforts.
Creighton
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 09:55:04 pm »

I for one am absolutely not challenging you! The very limited knowledge of the company I have just came from bits and pieces from here. As a matter of a fact I believe it was even you that spoke about it in a thread a few years ago and that is where I remember it from. Thank you for sharing the knowledge with us. Creighton is right soon all of it will be gone otherwise. And also you didn't step on my toes if that is what you were referring to. I misspoke and you corrected me like you should have.
Funtronics
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 05:52:57 am »

Vend_Dr can you explain how it works? What went in the two large holes with the rubber gaskets? Was it to use carbination, or was it where the two holes would hold glass jars with the product in it and it filled the tank, and the compressor kept the tank cool and then once the dime was put in it would dispense a cup and then the product?

Rod
Fun-Tronics
Seven181
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 07:56:33 am »

Rod,

Sent you a PM. I belive yours might be differnt than the one I have. Mine does not have two holes like you explain. I belive this maybe a non-carb machine.

Brian

Brian  happydrinkers
vend_dr
25 Cent Member

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 08:19:33 am »

Vend_Dr can you explain how it works? What went in the two large holes with the rubber gaskets? Was it to use carbination, or was it where the two holes would hold glass jars with the product in it and it filled the tank, and the compressor kept the tank cool and then once the dime was put in it would dispense a cup and then the product?

I believe Brian is right this would have been a non carbonated drink.

Since the ad I have says it did not require an outside water source I assume it must have used bottled water. I believe that one of the rubber gaskets may have held a water bottle and the other would have held the syrup jug. I think the tank with the refer line would be the water bath and that the motor with the blade would be the agitator motor - the agitator motor keeps the water in the water bath from freezing. Now being this early of a machine I suppose it is possible that the water bath may have been where they mixed the syrup with water cooled it and then dispensed it. There wasn't as many sanitation laws back then. As an example I used to work for the Griswold Coffee company which at one time manufactured a coffee machine that you had to pump the already brewed coffee into a large holding tank in the machine each morning. It would then keep the coffee hot and dispense a cup when activated by a coin. By the way does anyone have ore even seen a Griswold Coffee machine? The too would have been built in Minnesota.

Any chance of seeing photos of the inside tank area?

The
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: