SMC Discussion Areas
June 28, 2024, 04:34:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: so i finally joined the club...bought my first machine  (Read 2817 times)
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« on: May 03, 2010, 03:39:45 pm »

So after weeks of waiting for a decent deal I finally dipped my toe in the water.  I bought a Westinghouse junior.  He wanted $125 and I got it for $100.  Everything is there and it runs when plugged in but it doesn't get very cold.  It needs some body work as there is rust and peeling paint.  I feel like I did really good on the price?  Any suggestions?  How much should I have to spend to have it sanded and repainted?  What should I do to try to get it cooling fully? 

Like I always read on this forum I am hooked and much to my wife's dismay i feel like I am becoming addicted to these things.  As always I look forward to your comments and advice, everyone on here is awesome.

Here is the craigslist link that I found it under.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/atq/1719595351.html

Thanks for any help,
dw55
5 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 04:47:33 pm »

looks like you got a good deal. they are around $400 here in tennessee. you might want to check the thermostat to see if it is working or not.
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 04:49:16 pm »

What you have is the reproduction junior cooler, you will see on the ID plate it says Retro Products made in China, but $100 is a very good price.
         The finish is not paint, it has been powdercoated and will not sand off easy. You should be able to touch-up bad spots though. The rust inside the liner should clean off well enough to paint over it.
         I have sold several of these coolers and had no problems except for one. Customer brought it back because it wasn't cooling down well enough. I exchanged it for a new one and had the freon charged up and took it home. It has been running well ever since.
        Welcome to the club, this is only your first machine of several to come.

Glen
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 08:51:22 pm »

thanks for the input and advice guys, how can you tell so easily that it is a reproduction?  Being new to this I saw how much rust was on it and assumed it wasn't.  When I got it home and looked at it it did say Retro on it.  About when would this have been made?

Thanks again
Pat Pixley
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 09:05:52 pm »

The Tank is the first thing  I have one of the very first one's and it is the ice version  it has that new picnic cooler
 liners  for the tank.  You still did well for $100 the new ones I think are selling for $650  - $700.
By this time next year you will have 5 or 6 machines and showing off something that your think of buying.

Pat
jbrooks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 10:39:55 am »

So I always see on here that we should first offer things up for sale here before going on CL or ebay.  I found some cooler things locally that I want than this Coke cooler, is anyone here interested before I list it on those othere sites? 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: