SMC Discussion Areas
July 04, 2024, 07:03:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: coca cola fish tail flange sign  (Read 3829 times)
rr82
« on: April 11, 2010, 07:56:55 pm »

What year is my AM 70 coca cola fish tail flange sign. I thought you may be able to tell me just by the AM 70?? I got this one one Ebay.  Its rough anyone know value on this? help Thanks
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 03:55:46 am by rr82 » Logged
rr82
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 03:56:41 am »

I hope I didnt do to bad with it? hopefull
Poptop
5 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 06:24:26 am »

A collector told me that on signs, the last 2 numbers are the actual year of production.

I would say 1970, and a very nice piece!
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 08:43:29 am »

The numbers don't always corespond to production date, depends on the manufacuturer...
some Like Robertson and Duralife from the 30's and 40s' put the date on the signs, usually in 4 digit fashion other manufactures have two digit numbers , like on Button signs it will say AM42, or AM 68... those are not the dates rather they are production codes... and still to this date don't have an idea on what they correspond to?

The best way to tell is by determining the logo and what era it was used.. for example the fishtail logo was used starting in 1959 - mid 60's .. that flange is from the early to mid 60's...

also look for any tag lines on the signage to determine age.. like "Sign of Good Taste" late 50's to early 60's

"Pause and Refresh" from the late 40's early 50's

The back of Petrettis Coke book has these logos and phrases used during specific areas and can be very helpfull when looking at a sign.

HOpe this helps.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 09:52:25 am »

I have the same sign and my sign has AM59; I just assumed this sign was from '59... The slogan also backs this time period up as well...
As far as a value, in the condition from the photos, I would say $40 - $60... Perhaps even a little less since I personally look for slightly better quality...

My six cents,

Jim

halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 03:25:09 pm »

Early 1960's

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
rr82
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 06:09:46 pm »

The numbers don't always corespond to production date, depends on the manufacuturer...
some Like Robertson and Duralife from the 30's and 40s' put the date on the signs, usually in 4 digit fashion other manufactures have two digit numbers , like on Button signs it will say AM42, or AM 68... those are not the dates rather they are production codes... and still to this date don't have an idea on what they correspond to?

The best way to tell is by determining the logo and what era it was used.. for example the fishtail logo was used starting in 1959 - mid 60's .. that flange is from the early to mid 60's...

also look for any tag lines on the signage to determine age.. like "Sign of Good Taste" late 50's to early 60's

"Pause and Refresh" from the late 40's early 50's

The back of Petrettis Coke book has these logos and phrases used during specific areas and can be very helpfull when looking at a sign.

HOpe this helps.
Thanks for all your input! You are always very helpful!
rr82
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 06:12:01 pm »

I have the same sign and my sign has AM59; I just assumed this sign was from '59... The slogan also backs this time period up as well...
As far as a value, in the condition from the photos, I would say $40 - $60... Perhaps even a little less since I personally look for slightly better quality...
Yeah it is kinda rough. I got it on ebay for $63.00 plus shipping I have about 75 in it all together!  :tounge:OUCH! Oh well live and learn. Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: