SMC Discussion Areas
June 25, 2024, 01:52:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sign  (Read 7296 times)
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 10:06:11 pm »

What do you guys think is the best way to sell these signs nowadays? I hate to deal with eBay, but it might get better $ going that route. Last time I sold a sign and had to ship it it got bent and turned in to a big hassle. Craigslist is free, but interest might not be there.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
pepsi-perk
10 Cent Member

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 10:30:33 pm »

First - I would recommend trying to sell it here.  Post a pic and what you think a fair price is...got lots of folks here with deep pockets  tounge

If you sell on eBay..demand they pay for insurance.  Anything happens give them the insurance claim number on the ticket and it's all their problem.  Had to deal with that a couple of times myself.

RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 10:47:32 pm »

Ebay has gotten to such a hassle.

I am always looking for signs to put up on the walls of the garage.
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 10:55:30 pm »

First - I would recommend trying to sell it here.  Post a pic and what you think a fair price is...got lots of folks here with deep pockets  tounge

If you sell on eBay..demand they pay for insurance.  Anything happens give them the insurance claim number on the ticket and it's all their problem.  Had to deal with that a couple of times myself.

I sent it through the UPS Store and had them pack it. The buyer didn't want to wait for the claim to come through from them and wanted me to reimburse him before the claim was finalized. I had to file the claim. He left negative feedback 1 day before I was called to tell me the reimbursement check was ready. That's the short of a long story. 

I'll post pics.

Glascock Standard
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 01:19:43 am »

Dan,
I'd do as suggested and offer it here first with a fair price (or what you need out of it), then go the eBay or CL route.

Regardless of where you sell it, package it yourself. You'll do a better job than most Pack 'n' Ship locations! Send it Priority or 2-day, but not Ground - less handling and buyer is paying fees anyway. Advertise it with packaging, insurance and shipping fees as well as returns and claims procedures CLEARLY listed. It is a pain in the a$$ to have to do all that prior to listing something, but it is the way it has got to be nowadays.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 01:21:20 am by collecture » Logged

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 09:19:22 am »

Here is a picture from our former house. We moved last spring and I have hung some signs and others are sitting or still boxed up. Might pick up some smaller signs or thermometers. I'll take better pics, but the two 20" x 28" fishtails on the right (Sign of Good Taste and Refreshing New Feeling) are two that are available. The main part of the signs are good with some wear around the edges.  $150 each? PM if interested.

Glascock Standard
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 09:38:19 am »

I tried to post under the Classified section, but can't seem to log in.

Glascock Standard
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 09:48:21 am »

Refreshing New Feeling

Glascock Standard
VMC 81
10 Cent Member

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 10:23:09 am »

Just a note with shipping you can buy the wood door skins pretty cheap. cut that up and use that for some of the packing as that will keep the packabe nice and stiff.

VMC 81 Pepsi
VMC 27 7Up on a pipe stand
Vendo 56
Seeburg VL 200
AMI 200
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 11:51:16 am »

When I buy signs, I'm usually buying pretty high end, near mint or NOS signs, and what I've done to ensure safe shipping is build a custom crate out of 2x2's and plywood and send that to the seller with some wrapping material, and have them package it in My Crate and ship it back.. yes it costs a bit more, but if I'm dealing in a near mint or perfect sign, I want it to arrive that way.. one bend, scratch, the value goes down alot...

if selling, and shipping, I either get a big enough box that can't be bent, I'll package the sign sandwiched between two peices of 1/2 inch plywood, and then wrap that in cardboard or a box and have never had a problem.. it takes extra work ,but I tell that in my description with photos of past packages and that makes the buyer more comfortable about buying from me..

Granted it's been a while since i've sold on ebay... but still a viable option to get the most eyes on it..

Nice sign collection, I still have a nice collection of vintage pre 60's signs as well and they are still a favorite thing to collect.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: