SMC Discussion Areas
June 16, 2024, 01:44:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jetwashing my U Select vending mech  (Read 4242 times)
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« on: March 06, 2009, 01:55:56 pm »

Chaps

Manged to get the vending mech out of the U Select. The bodywork is now off to the sprayers... Bowed to pressure from my five year old daughter and have gone for pink and white...

Looking at the vending mech now.. It's in not bad condition... A bit gunky etc. But
doesn't warrant a complete strip down.

Now I know that some of you guys have jetwashed the insides of machines etc and I was thinking of doing this to my mech. Taking it down the local garage and sticking it through the car wash..

I've stuck a few coin mechs in the dishwasher before now and they have turned out alright but I'm a bit concerned about the vending mech...

Looking for some words of advice on this.....

Thanks

Dave 
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 05:25:47 pm »

One concern that immediately comes to my mind is any springs that are on it.

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 08:33:52 am »

Dave,
i've powerwashed the two that I've owned... I first sprayed them down with a degreaser and let them soak for about 15-30 minutes... use a scrub brush on the areas that I could reach.. used a smaller toothbrush size one to go inside each of the little "Trays" to get the gunk loosened up .. once I did that ... then power wash it good and then I blew it off with my air compressor and then let dry... that did the trick for me.. still didn't look pretty, so after dry.. I repainted all the trays with hammertone to give a nice finished look... I wasn't too concerned with the looks of the other parts as you don't see them.. I did hit them with a little WD40 as not to rust.. but that was it.
Goodl luck!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 11:57:52 am »

Thanks John.....

Did you spray the trays individually or leave them insitu??

Dave
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 05:32:55 pm »

I was not brave enought to dissasemble the whole works, so I taped off what I didn't want painted and sprayed them with a silver hammertone finish..

davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 02:22:25 am »

Sounds like an excellent idea...
Exactly what I had in mind

Cheers

Dave
Basementgeek
10 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 01:07:07 pm »

I have cleaned a bunch of all metal mech's over the last 20 years, since I work for a vending company that still has some.

I would spray them down with a cleaner, after a few minutes we would heat a pot of water to almost boiling and dip the mechs for a few seconds.  When you take them out they dry with 3-4 seconds.

I don't think I would try the high pressure washer.

BG
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 10:39:04 pm »

Just to clarify  when dave was saying mech, he wasn't refering to the coin mech, rather the WHOLE mechanical part of the machine, It's basically all the guts... It's defeinatly built well enough to handle a power washer... I've done several of my inside parts with one...
Thanks for the tip on the boiling water too... Ususlly some degreaser and a power washer, clean up quite bit of it.. Also was thinking of one of those Power steamers? might try to get one of those someday...

Basementgeek
10 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 01:48:28 pm »

Understand........... I have what is called a "Steam Mouse"  it basically a little steam cleaner.

Not a bad little cleaner for about $60.00-70.00 USD.

NG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: