SMC Discussion Areas
July 04, 2024, 01:48:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 80 needs help!!  (Read 4070 times)
cloudjumper
« on: November 07, 2007, 01:13:03 pm »

Hey folks..
Some of you may remember me, some of you may not. Its been quite awhile since I've been on here. I was hoping maybe someone could help me with this very nice Vendo 80 I've just recently come across.

Its original, from what I can tell. It cools, and it seems that all the parts are there, even the rack on the side! Its been an inside machine most of its life and has been owned by the same person since the 60's. Its got virtually no rust on it!! Its a very pretty machine.

Now the bad news...
When the problem was first explained to me that the coin would go in but just fall out again, I thought, "oh, all you need is a coin mech" and problem solved. But when I went to go look at the machine in person, that was just the begining. And this instantly became a problem for the experts, and I don't qualify! Please help!  biggrin

Here's the real problem..
When I opened the coin door, I found that the machine is set to free vend. Which isn't a problem in and of itself. It's set up so that when you push the coin return it hits the relay switch. Kinda a cool idea actually, but it didn't work. Then I opened the main door and saw that all the wires had been split. (I'm assuming to take the door off at some point.) We spliced the wires back together and turned the machine on and the free vend still doesn't work.  darn

My guess is that the free vend mechanism just isn't good anymore. Would the problem be fixed as "easily" as just getting a new coin mech? And the mechs for the 80's are different than most other mechs, aren't they? Which one would I need to get?

(oh and there's this strange gray box that's been added below the mech plug in and I'm not sure what its for.  I've attached a pic, so maybe someone could shed some light on that too.)
I appoligize for the quality of the photos..

I'd love to get this machine working again.  help
Thanks so much everyone!!
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 01:31:39 pm »

The mystery box is just what it says----Control Relay-----
and is most likely problem as you described it.

Glen
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 01:41:45 pm »

The "Mystery Box" is original as this is the vend relay.
If you search for free play or better yet, browse the Coin Mechanisms Forum, you'll find some info that may aid in trouble shooting the free play problem...
One thing to do would be verify the free play wires terminate properly at the Jones Socket...

My six cents,

Jim

90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 04:41:33 pm »

Welcome back, Kate.  Looks like you have a nice Vendo 80.  I like the all-red machines.  I don't think the mechs are any different than other electric coin mechs, so a Coinco S75-9800 should work.  Maybe some one here has one lying around they could part with.

As far as the control relay goes, you may be able to get one from Funtronics or The Soda Jerk Works. 

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 08:25:10 pm »

Well Hello!!!! How the heck are you. i am so happy that you are out looking for machines. Or should I say I am jealous because there are none where I am now. biggrin I agree with glen that it is the potter and brumfield relay. I don't know if you remember the Cavalier 55 that we had and couldn't get to work. It was the one that you welded up the bottom on. It worked basically like your machine. That was the problem on the 55. I have heard that they go bad quite often. Try the sodajerkwerks or funtronics. I just hope it isn't the vend motor. What did you pay for the machine? Nice machine you have. Any background on it? Do you still have the Cavalier chest that I gave you? Did you get it to work? Stick around I know how much you enjoyed this hobby. Also are you still welding? I sure hope so. You were so good at it. Well I have to go to work. Nice hearing from you Kate.
cloudjumper
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 02:41:10 am »

Hey guys! Thanks for the welcome.. I know its been awhile.

The all red machines are really nice, I agree. It's also a rare treat to find one thats in such nice original condition. Makes you kinda get that warm fuzzy inside when you see people take such good care of these treasures. (Course, I made the owner take down the box of bottles that was sitting on top, you can see them sitting to the side in the photo.. there was NO WAY I was gonna post a pic with the bottles sitting on top, y'all would have had a FIT!!  biggrin )

Anyway, Josh, I don't own the machine. It has been rumored that I used to restore these critters and so they asked me a question hoping I would be able to help them get it working again. So, I'm doing my best, and asking the experts! hehe. As for history, there have been two owners. the second owner has had it since the 60's and its been an inside machine ever since. It looks almost all original, there are a few minor modifications, but all in all its a solid machine. One of those "quick get it before they know what they really have then run away" machines.. you remember!?  I do remember the 55! How could I not? That was my first big welding project. I also remember making a new door for one of these 80's at some point too.

Thanks for the help y'all! I'll check the wiring and make sure its done right. Also, do you think I should get a new relay AND a new coin mech for it? Or should I just start with replacing the relay and see if that helps first?

p.s. I'm not welding at the moment, the apartment complex frowns on that! Would you believe they won't let me build a fire pit on my porch either!? I mean come on, I pay rent don't I?? laugh
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 05:38:54 am »

If I were you I wouldn't waste my time with a coin mech. If the free vend switch is not working then a coin mech wont help. Do you hear any clicking or any noise at all when hitting the free switch? Go to the coin mech section and follow the chart for free vending. Make your own switch. You have seen me do it a hundred times. Go to radio shack and buy a momentary on push button switch. Ask them they will know what you need. Wire it up and see if that helps. that is the easiest and cheapest first test. Then I would try the relay. Good Luck. I was hoping this was yours. It is a shame you are not welding. You should look for a barn to rent like I had for my shop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: