SMC Discussion Areas
June 17, 2024, 02:24:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pinball machine help????  (Read 7402 times)
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 11:21:33 am »

Josh -

The power supplies for SS pinball machines are fairly unique. $110 isn't a bad price, especially if that is the only thing wrong with it.

You're paying for this guy's expertise and his ability to locate all the correct connectors/plugs and the physical power supply. You could try to rig something but you run the risk of frying a lot of other things. One of the great things about EM games is that most power induced problems are fairly localized, meaning when something goes kaput, it rarely takes anything else down with it with the exception of bulbs or maybe a coil if you are super unlucky.

With Solid State (SS) you're dealing with discreet components that dont take kindly to any overpower or spike situation. Granted, 70's SS technology is a bit more robust than today's.

So, basically, if it really is just the power supply that's bad, spend the $110 for a new one or find somebody that has an NOS or a good used one sitting around for a lower price and be on your merry way!

Let us know how it goes. If it turns out that after replacing the power supply you still have problems, give a holler.

Brian
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 11:26:33 am »

Josh -

Here's a sales ad from Sears circa. 1978. Check out the original selling price!

Brian
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 11:48:26 am »

Everyone I have spoken to says that the game is a nightmare to keep running. I think I am going to run it on ebay and start it at $9.99 no reserve and list it as an elvis collectable and see where it goes. I will be honest about what is wrong and see if it sells. After all I have already bought my sister and nephew a Tetris cocktail table and a ms pacman upright so I think that will be enough for now. The tetris is actually a Bloxeed by Sega but it is the same thing as Tetris. It works great and the cabnet is flawless and I got it for a whole $100. WHat a deal I posted a pic below.
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 11:49:03 am »

another pic
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 01:46:27 pm »

Sweet looking machine.  You mention Sears, have you tried sears for your part?
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 02:59:50 pm »

No but they stoped carrying these around 1980 and they would get the parts from the manufacturer and they don't even stock parts for it anymore. Brunswick is who told me to go to the guy in KY that builds the parts. By the way I might have just bought a Ms pacman cocktail table for $500. I found an astroids cocktail table for $200 if anyone wants one.
Pixel
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 08:55:57 pm »

I had a pinball machine two or three years ago. "Sinbad" by D. Gottlieb & Co. It was one of their early solid state machines I believe. Made in 1977, it used Gottlieb's System 1 CPU board. My machine had the CPU and lamp driver boards, but not the power supply.

As an aside, they also had an electromechanical version with lower scoring (EM had 5 tumble dials, the solid state version displayed up to 6 digits I believe)

Seems like the original Gottlieb System 1 CPU boards were said to be unreliable and prone to burning out. I found an aftermarket replacement for the CPU board that was supposed to be better, but they wanted almost $200 for it. With the power supply board missing, I decided I couldn't afford to try fixing it and sold it.
DanV
5 Cent Member

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2005, 09:39:09 pm »

Alive is only worth $75 WORKING. I have three pins and the home models like this one are not worth the effort or cash. Ebay is a good idea because if you get 50 for it, You got a good deal
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2005, 09:52:36 pm »

I also just bought a space invaders cocktail table for my sister. My Dad is paying for all of these and I am taking them to her for christmas. She knows she is getting the Boloxeed (Tetris) game but she thinks I am not able to bring it untill Febuary. SHe has no idea she is getting a Ms pacman upright and a Space Invaders cocktail table. She is going to go nuts. Actually I should say my Nephew is going to go nuts.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: