SMC Discussion Areas
June 22, 2024, 09:12:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vendo 39 restoration questions  (Read 3950 times)
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« on: April 29, 2005, 08:10:59 am »

Hey guys and gals,
I have a first series Vendo 39 I'm attempting to restore.  Someone repainted it before but painted right over a line of rot on the back side of the machine.  The surrounding metal is very solid and the holes, though many, are very small.  What are some ideas of dealing with this?  I thought of just filling the holes with JB Weld (or similar) but not sure if that'll hold up well in the long run.  Can someone enlighten me?  See attached picture.

Thanks!

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

1955 Vendo 23 - awaiting restoration
1959 Westinghouse WC-44SK - awaiting parts
1967 Cavalier CS-64G - functional in house
1969 Vendo 63 - in restoration
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 08:13:20 am »

Here's another pic.

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 10:51:52 am »

Eric,

This is an area that has bends and creases making it difficult to replace with sheet metal.
An alternative may be to sand blast the interior well and apply a fiberglass matt on the inside covering this entire area and apply filler on the outside as needed. Sand, high build primer,sand some more, high build primer, putty filler, sand again, high build primer and go from there...

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT...
Disregard the above comments as I didn't realize this metal is not located in the upper cabinet compartment! This is a tough one since the metal is visible from both sides... I'm at a loss for right now...

My six cents,

Jim

sodaworks
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 11:07:53 am »

I would replace the metal. Cut out the cancered metal and "square" it up. Take the old piece to a fab shop and have a replacement section fabricated. Mig weld new section in place using the stitch weld method. You have to get the cancer out or it will never be right.

TERRY@SODAWORKS RESTORATIONS
Lots of Round Top machines
Buy-Sell-Trade-Restorations
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 11:40:18 am »

Jim,
Where do I find a fiberglass mat?  I haven't messed with those before.

Thanks!

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 01:38:52 pm »

Chief Squid,

Fiberglass mats are commonly used for body repair on cars and boats. I've found them at Pep Boys, AutoZone and a few other automotive supply stores. I've even ordered them as part of a fiberglass repair kit (Eastwood) when I couldn't get them individually.

They look just like the square/rectangular fiberglass peices used shipboard to repair holes in lagging on bulkheads and for lagging jackets used on intakes/exhausts on SSDG's/SSTG's.

All you do is prep the area and cut to size with overlap figured in around the problem area and impregnate it with fiberglass resin and let harden. That's if this is the method you wish to use vice cutting/welding.

Good luck!  ':drinkers:'

Brian
joesquid
25 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 05:37:34 pm »

Brian,
Thanks for the Naval explanation. I know EXACTLY what y'all are talking about now haaha!!  The way you're "sounding" in your post, it seems like the fiberglass method is frowned upon.  I'd like to go the welding method but don't know anyone who can do this.  I just moved into the area.  So I think I'll go the fiberglass route unless there's some major disadvantage to this method.

By the way, thanks to all for the assistance!!  Hope y'all have a good weekend!

Eric "Joe Squid" Johnson

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: