SMC Discussion Areas
June 29, 2024, 01:24:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PAM clock question...  (Read 3748 times)
pinballdude
25 Cent Member

« on: August 21, 2014, 10:40:10 am »

Anyone know why these old clocks sometimes start running BACKWARDS? This seems to happen when the power goes off for a few seconds.
Thanks.
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 11:20:58 am »

Good question. Mine does that too. I don't know why.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 11:41:21 am »

The pam clock motors are bi-directional. depends how it's getting hit with current

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 02:24:30 pm »

I was told by a good source if you turn the plug around and it should run the right way...

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
addamb
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 06:49:58 am »

Alot of older clocks have a "reversing" gear that basically looks like a little gear with curved teeth. It's typically the first gear that the main motor gear hits before all the others. They are supposed to curve to the right if you are looking head on at the gear. I have 1980s Dr Pepper "prism" clock that had this issue, and it turned out at some point someone had dissassembled the gears to clean them and flipped the reversing gear over. It was an easy fix once i realized what i was working with.

Here's a link that helped me. Different motor, same idea though, read the top paragraph where it talks about it.   https://www.norkro.com/webpages/lanshireinstructions.htm

P.S. Unless you flip the armature (Which has to be deliberatly done), AC motors don't care which wire is where (I.E. flipping the plug will have no effect on teh direction), they will spin the same direction reguardless.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 07:07:40 am by addamb » Logged

Vendorlator VF-90 Pepsi
1981 Asteroids Deluxe Cabaret
1981 Ms. Pac-Man Cocktail
Larry
Grady
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 06:53:55 am »

That's funny about it running backwards when the plug is reversed because when I was at my first job I reversed the plug on a wall clock and it ran in reverse too.  Later on when I new a little about ac voltage I was thinking about that clock and was wondering why it did that. The mystery continues.  Oo

A lot of stuff.
addamb
5 Cent Member

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 07:12:47 am »

That's funny about it running backwards when the plug is reversed because when I was at my first job I reversed the plug on a wall clock and it ran in reverse too.  Later on when I new a little about ac voltage I was thinking about that clock and was wondering why it did that. The mystery continues.  Oo

When the reversing gear goes bad, or is missing in clocks that need one (the one i talked about in my above post) you get a 50/50 chance on which way the motor spins when you plug it in, that's why that gear is there. It's not dependant on the polarity of the wires or plug, but without that gear it's just a matter of which way the motor "feels" like spinning when pulgged in that time. It may spin clockwise 10 times in a row, then one time you plug it in and it spins counterclockwise. The reversing gear makes sure if eventually ends up spinning clockwise, usually within a second or so of plugging in. If you don't have a second hand, you will never even know this is happeneing behind the scenes.

Vendorlator VF-90 Pepsi
1981 Asteroids Deluxe Cabaret
1981 Ms. Pac-Man Cocktail
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 09:39:39 am »

Yep. If it is running backwards after a power outage, I just unplug and plug it in until it runs the right way.

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
Chedki
25 Cent Member

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 03:01:08 pm »

Yep. If it is running backwards after a power outage, I just unplug and plug it in until it runs the right way.

Yeah, that's what I've always done with my PAM clocks too.

Royal Crown Cola Ideal 55 slider
Nichol Kola Quikold Standard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: