SMC Discussion Areas
July 05, 2024, 08:22:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drive-in car heater  (Read 2575 times)
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« on: September 26, 2013, 04:51:52 pm »

Picked this up off of ebay. It's an old Electromode drive-in car heater from the Sheridan Drive-in in Tonawanda NY. Also was surprised that after checking it out with a multimeter I ended up plugging it in for a short time and the thing fired up and worked great. Won't actually use it but I am kind of excited and surprised that the thing still works.

HowDueYouDue
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 07:56:05 pm »

Interesting find. No idea drive-ins had car heaters.

I dreamed I had a good job and I got well paid.
I blew it all at the penny arcade.

-Eric Clapton & B.B. King
Rebel
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 08:28:23 pm »

Had no idea they had such. All the ones down south close for the Winter so guess that's the reason I haven't seen one. Did this hang somewhere around the window speakers or pick up at concession stand and plug in somewhere on speaker pole ?

Don't you know if that thing could talk what stories it could tell.LOL
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:27:06 am by Rebel » Logged
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 03:39:30 pm »

Had no idea they had such. All the ones down south close for the Winter so guess that's the reason I haven't seen one. Did this hang somewhere around the window speakers or pick up at concession stand and plug in somewhere on speaker pole ?

Don't you know if that thing could talk what stories it could tell.LOL

From what I could find out is that they had heaters either mounted on the speaker pole with the speakers or they would hand them out at either the concession stand or ticket booth and from what I understand there was an outlet on certain speaker poles that you could plug it into. Actually visited a drive-in recently that still has the junction boxes for the "Drive-in Theater Manufacturing Company" heaters on the poles. They don't have any of the heaters anymore (I looked when I had a tour of the projection booth) but the boxes are still there. The little box about 1/3 of the way up the pole is the junction box for the heaters.  Here is a link to a sales brochure for the heaters that went on those junction boxes that I posted a picture of. http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/wareview.php?id=871&category=2  

scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 03:43:46 pm »

And here are a few other neat old documents talking about drive-in speakers and heaters. http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/?category=2#Drive-In%20Equipment The Eprad heater seems to be the most popular one that I have found online. Seems every intermission ad I see on youtube or most of the ones that pop up during google searches are the Hot Shot heater.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: