SMC Discussion Areas
July 06, 2024, 12:47:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non Soda - Any idea what this is off of?  (Read 3831 times)
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 06:50:11 am »

They are typically called Hood Mascots if your looking around. I found one last summer that was off a german WW2 staff car, railroad division. Took me 2 weeks of looking around to finally nail it down.

I thought about collecting them after I found it because they are cool and display well, but the coolest ones are REALLY expensive. Lalique made some back in the day.. Wicked pricey. I put mine on eBay and its probably on a street rod by now.

Tim
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 08:09:05 am »

They are typically called Hood Mascots if your looking around. I found one last summer that was off a german WW2 staff car, railroad division. Took me 2 weeks of looking around to finally nail it down.

I thought about collecting them after I found it because they are cool and display well, but the coolest ones are REALLY expensive. Lalique made some back in the day.. Wicked pricey. I put mine on eBay and its probably on a street rod by now.

Agree with Tim.   Looks like a stylized Harp to me, so it could be an after-market.  I don't know of any manufacturers that used Harps, but Hood Ornaments used to be a very big deal.
By the way -  If it was on a US car, it's a hood ornament.  The European's called them Hood Mascots... or more correctly Bonnet Mascots.   In British car terms, the Hood is the part that covers your head.  Halfway between the Bonnet and the Boot.   smile

Either way -  cool find!  My favorite is the 1950's Jet ornaments.

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: