SMC Discussion Areas
June 16, 2024, 08:32:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spray Canning a machine  (Read 4088 times)
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« on: December 03, 2012, 05:52:04 pm »

So...... I was looking over things on Ebay last night, and came across a machine that I had interest in.  Interest because it's close to my folks place in Florida, and seeing how I was heading there for the holidays, I thought maybe I can make a deal, and have a machine in the FLA man cave.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COCA-COLA-MACHINE-VENDO-23-FULLY-RESTORED-GREAT-CONDITION-/181036707931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a26a0f05b

So, in looking at the several machines he has for sale with Ebay, I noticed something in the back of one of the pics, as well as the table that was being used to display a Vendo 23.

With the pictures (i've attached here) I can see a shelf full of red spray paint.  Looking at the table he uses for the picture, I see it is all red overspray.  Again, looking at another pic, you can see that he JUST finished painting the machine when he took the pic, as the overspray matches the outline of the base.

I was just going to contact him to see if I could make a deal, (I was somewhat interedted in a VMC 72 he has) that is until I noticed the spray cans.  Also on the 72 he has for sale, the inside door looked like it was sandblasted, but only the outside of the door was painted.

Not that I am interested in a machine that was painted with a can, but I mean how well can a machine look when done this way?Huh?

Sorry if this is someone here, but it is what it is.  smile

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:54:23 pm by bonovox » Logged

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
kbareit
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 06:22:29 pm »

Depends on the paint in the can. If it's being sprayed with cheap paint I'd have a problem paying good money for a machine. My local auto parts store mixes PPG auto finishes and offers putting it in a spray can. You get top quality paint in a spray can for those who don't have spray equipment. It's not the cheapest way to go but you can get the same results as spraying with a gun.

Cavalier 27
Jacobs 26
Ideal 55 Hires root beer, 7-Up restored
Ideal 55 Pepsi, Barqs original
Double cola,Squirt,Nesbitts,Canada Dry on deck
3 Westy 60's
3 Westy 78's
Cav 72 original
S&S 1400 WD2 Pepsi
Stoner Junior
pepsibob
10 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:11:44 pm »

I think this guy a member on this site
BONOVOX
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:16:29 pm »

Again, I didnt mean to step on any toes.... I'm not too informed with painting a machine with spray paint.  I was just kinda put off on it when I saw the cans and the garage paint shop etc....

If it is done nicely, maybe I will contact him.

happydrinkers

I HAVE A PROBLEM.....
MaineT
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 07:31:18 pm »

If your going for a top notch restoration, probably not the best choice. If its not in use and just a decorator or atmosphere piece for display and you don't have the top dollar to blow, it is what it is. There is an antique store near me that sells stuff that looks like he painted it with a gallon of red house paint and a broom... and it still sells. It is a lower price point and it sells a lot quicker then a $7000 machine would. 

Tim
wee
10 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 09:06:32 pm »

I painted the bottom inside of my Vendo 80 with the same paint he has on the shelf.....It's a real close match to the parts on my machine that had never see the light of day....Like the backside of a hinge. I was surprised at how well it turned out....Not a drip or run at all.  I saw his ad for the vendo 80 he has and then looked at the rest of the machines he has. Not bad for a can.

Brian
tkaz
Soda Jerks

tkaz

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 09:47:09 pm »

Take a look at the photo with the close-up of the Coke logo...right after the 'In Bottles' you can see some pretty significant runs in the paint, plus a couple other dents.  You can do a decent paint job with the right rattle cans, but I'd be wary on this one.

SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 09:52:42 pm »

I have nothing against someone wanting to do a quick cleanup job on a machine and then sit in the collection, cause we sure know they look better painted than all rusty.

but when they advertise them as "Professionally Restored", then that is where I draw the line... It appears this guy is very handy with the spray bomb and looks like he takes his time by taking stuff apart and then repainted it.. but it looks like EVERYTHING is painted ,and to me that is just not a professionall restoration..

and to his credit he is not asking "Professional" prices either so thats fine... I just would not call them restored, maybe rather Cleaned up and redone for display.?

just my 2 cents..

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 07:51:12 am »

You do have to admit he is good with a spray can.  I know the newer spray tips on the Rustoleum cans do spray much better than the older small tips.

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: