SMC Discussion Areas
June 18, 2024, 08:49:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cornelius slider update  (Read 6219 times)
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« on: May 02, 2012, 09:14:26 pm »

I figured since I have now purchased it, I should take my questions and comments from the Auctions section to the Post 60's section.

Progress report on my Cornelius Compact 50 Slider:

I disassembled the coin mech tonight, pulled 4 jammed dimes out of it (1964 through 1973 in case you were wondering) sprayed it liberally with WD-40 and after some "massaging"  of the various moving parts, I got it working.    Cool   

I still haven't puzzled out how to change the vending value.  After some deduction, it appears to be set to .20 and only wants to vend on two dimes.  It will accept 2-3 nickles, but it only vends when a pair of dimes are in the chute.    Perhaps that is why the nickle slot was covered over with a piece of black tape.  The sticker on the mech says 15 cents  Exact Change Only, so at some point I know the nickle slot worked correctly.  More fiddling this weekend I suspect.

Cooling wise - well...mixed results.  I plugged it in and it came alive without any sparks or flame!  The thermostat seems to work, the compressor kicked on when I turned it to "colder".  There is a coil that lays in the bottom of the box, and after an hour the first section of the coil developed some frost on it but that's as far as it got after about an hour.   I'm very cooling ignorant, but I wonder if it might need a recharge since it cools 'some' or is it not quite that simple?  Perhaps I just need to let it run a bit longer - but I did not want it running overnight in the garage unattended.  I'll plug it in on Saturday or Sunday and let it run for a few more hours while I clean the interior of the cooler and (weather permitting) detail the Spitfire.

Jim

Embossed Coke Ideal 55 Slider
VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 11:31:06 am »

Here are pics of mine: before/after. 

I like how every once in a while I get to pull out these pics again!  happydrinkers

Vendo 63 Stylestar (Restored)
Glascock Standard
Cornelius 50 Slider (Restored)
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 12:31:16 pm »

That is SPOT ON and exactly what I intend to do! I hope you don't mind.   oops

I just spent a few hours with my old friend Simple Green, a bucket/hose and a scrubber sponge.  It actually cleaned up pretty well after I got rid of all 40 years worth of 'gunk'.

Here are some post-cleaning pics.   

I do have a couple of questions, hoping someone can help. Can someone tell me where the two pieces out front of the slider in the first picture go?  I'm guessing the wire shelf sits over the cooling coil and the solid box sits to the right, but the box seems to block the air flow of the fan in that configuration.  Second question - does I have the cooling coil and fan fit together properly?  They seemed to fit nicely like this but I want to be sure.

Thanks!
Jim

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 06:58:11 pm »

The grill goes over the cooling coils, & the shelf (box) goes over the other end. (in the bottom)

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 07:02:34 pm »

The grill goes over the cooling coils, & the shelf (box) goes over the other end. (in the bottom)
Thanks JohnieG - that's the way it all seemed to fit, but I was thinking the box looks like it would block the airflow from the fan.   I presume the box is to hold pre-cooling bottles.   I grabbed the manuals from this site, but oddly enough the manual does not address setting up the interior of the box.   

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 07:53:17 pm »

I could use a wire shelf for mine. I bet I could find something and with some cuts and a little bending, make one.

Glascock Standard
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 08:38:53 pm »

I could use a wire shelf for mine. I bet I could find something and with some cuts and a little bending, make one.

It's nothing special, I think I've seen a lot of similar wire shelves in smaller dorm fridges and the like.  I see you are in Virginia - I'm in PA and work in MD, so if you ever get up my way I'd be happy to loan mine to you as a model if you'd like.

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 11:28:35 pm »

On my first one I bought wire shelf racking from  home depot. It worked very well.
jholmgren
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 08:36:35 pm »

Halehouse - sent you a PM about your Cornelius.   

I just picked up a really cheap Cornelius that cools very well, so I'm going to use the better parts out of each. 

I now have a spare wire shelf if you are interested, let me know.  I also have an extra cap catcher if anyone out there needs one.

Jim

VMC-44
Vendo V-80 
Westinghouse WE-6
halehouse
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 08:51:30 am »

Yes. I'm interested invthe shelf. I'll MSG you back via a PM. We just got our power back from Friday night's storms.

Glascock Standard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: