SMC Discussion Areas
June 28, 2024, 07:12:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My second machine  (Read 2996 times)
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« on: May 28, 2012, 05:19:47 pm »

I got my 56 home.  Cheesy
Now for my initial questions.
Since im taking it in for blasting, does soda blasting get the black sealent off? Ive scraped the bulk off but theres still some residue.
Do you guys re-apply that stuff? I figure it has a reason to be there but I was thinking of using aluminum ducting tape to reseal the edges.

How do you join the edges of the main door gasket? Or do you just cut it at a 45 and call it good. Ive found a preformed one for a square 56 but i have 12 feet of the stuff sitting in my garage.

Is there a glue that can join a broken breaker strip or door liner? I have one strip that was broke in half and a 4" section of the door liner, on the bottle door side, is broken. Im also considering using gorilla tape on the back since it will be hidden.

does anyone know where to find a the decal that was origionally on the can opener? Or al least a pict so I can recreate? Theres on there and I can see it was striped but its been rubbed down to silver.
How about a pict of can loading instructions just in case I decide to replace the door liner.

Im posting a list of parts (in the swap meet area) I cant find at Funtronics or Sodajerkworks if any of you have some 56 parts loitering around in your shop.

Thanks for any help!
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 05:22:28 pm »

I found the post about the tar and replacing it. Guess ill start scrubbing! Brake cleaner gets it off but its a slow process.
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 09:15:56 pm »

Yeah, it's a sticky mess, soda & sand blasting won't touch it, but if you use a heat gun ( not an open flame torch torch!) to soften it, that will make it easier to remove, or find a dry ice blaster in your area ( see-below) & yes they really exist.   Now remember folks, no open flames around solvents! ( many brake-cleaning sprays are extremely flammable & even those that aren't produce nasty fumes when exposed to flame.

Interesting side note...strangely enough, they had the same issue when they were restoring the Statue of Liberty, the tar that they used as caulk wouldn't budge, so they used liquid nitrogen to freeze it & it shattered like peanut-brittle & fell right off of the copper skin of the big green lady.

another loose though just past through my breezy mind, if you could find an automotive shop with a big enough parts washer ( for engine block size pieces) that would cost you some money, but save you some elbow grease.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Roadman
25 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 07:51:36 am »

Very interesting. there is a wealth of knowledge on this board.
Fire708
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 09:46:29 pm »

I have found that Gunk engine cleaner works very well. You do have to get all the thick gunk off. Spray the foam on and let it soak. The residue wipes off with a paper towel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: