SMC Discussion Areas
July 04, 2024, 06:15:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resource  (Read 2401 times)
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« on: February 12, 2012, 03:28:51 pm »

I know this will not apply to everybody, but if you are able to get access to a military base, see if they have an auto skills center.  I was able to sandblast my 81, then paint it at their paint booth, total cost for everything was under 450 dollars.  They charged me a 75.00 day usage fee, (needed it for the entire day due to two colors), 15 dollars to use the sandblast area, (I just needed to borrow the air), 175.00 for paint which I provided,, and about 150 for the gun I purchased to shoot it.   The guy that ran the paint booth did most of the spraying, he let me learn on the parts that will not be seen as much.  It turned out great, the only mistakes I  saw were mine, but a little wet sanding should take care of that.  I will post pics when I have it back together. 

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 04:11:14 pm »

I work on a military base and the Auto - Craft Center is definitely a good deal.  I've just been too chicken to try my own painting.  Another good resource is your local Vo-Tech school.  I spoke with the teacher for the auto body class and he agreed to have he kids work on the machines as part of the class.  They've painted 2 of them for me (for the price of materials) and have done a great job.

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 05:55:56 pm »

I tried the local vocational school, they couldn't of been more dis-interested.  I was nervous about painting it as well, but luckily, the foreman was very experienced, and showed me some pointers, as well as doing most of the heavy lifting.  I will definitely use it again, and may even practice on some other non-coke machine items. 

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
TARANDY24

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 09:37:23 pm »

What base were you at? They let you have access as a nonmilitary civilian? Wish I were still in the ARMY, the do it yourself auto center was a great little perk, had all the tools, lifts and everything you need to save money and fix your own car. I think it was all free back then. Maybe a few bucks but I never used the paint booth. I wonder how hard it would be to make a makeshift booth in your garage or something.  Anyone ever try that?
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 10:55:56 pm »

>>I wonder how hard it would be to make a makeshift booth in your garage or something.  Anyone ever try that?

Sure it can be done. Despite best efforts constructing a garage paint booth there will be dust in the paint. Wet sand and buff.
No big deal since it's a soda machine not a Model J Duesey.
Creighton

msanborn
25 Cent Member

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 04:06:06 am »

I used the paint booth at billing aft, near DC, the sandblasting, I did at FT. Belvoir, I am fortunate, lots of bases near me. 

Vendo 81
Vendo 39
Pepsi VMC 81
Ideal Slider
Glasco Slider
90grad
Soda Jerks

Thanks to all our veterans for our freedom!

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 06:51:00 am »

I am at Aberdeen Proving Ground in MD.  It's mostly a civilian base, so we can use many of the facilities (except things like the PX and Commissary).

Wayne

Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cavalier 51 (1953)
Cavalier Airline Cooler
7-Up Picnic Cooler
Vendo 110 (1957)
VMC 56 Bottle (1964)
VMC 56 Can
Westinghouse Master Water Bath Cooler
Westinghouse Standard Ice Cooler
Westinghouse WB-102 (1963)
Pages: [1]   Go Up