SMC Discussion Areas
October 05, 2024, 06:33:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone else noticed??  (Read 2258 times)
cola62
Soda Jerks

« on: December 27, 2011, 10:30:13 am »

Over the holidays, I have had more time than usual to surf ebay checking out availability and prices of the things I collect.  I was shocked to see that a lot of the items that were plentiful not long ago are now drying up.  I have to attribute it to all the shows out now getting people more interested in collecting.  Just one example, search coca cola clocks.  Two years ago you would find fifteen pages of clocks (60's and earlier) for sale.  Now you will find 80% new stuff and the few vintage clocks are priced double what they were just two years ago.  Advertising thermometers and signs the same story.  Guess I should be thankful for what I collected at decent prices.  It will be interesting to see if this continues or if these items re-appear for sale down the road.

Greg
ciawarrior
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 01:43:53 pm »

AGREE 100%, ITS CRAZY
bcharlton
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 02:43:07 pm »

I said from the start that the show will be a double edge sword.  There there will be less "finds" out there and certainly less deals now that Rick can ask $12,000 for a restored Vendo Milk machine.  In the long run, the pure hobbyists will suffer, the people that make income off the restorations will benefit in the short run but in the long run,. I think we all lose.

Just my .02

bcexpress

Vendo 39 Original
Cavalier C-51 Restored
Cavalier C-96 Restored (almost done)
GE Double Chiller Restored
Cavalier C-33 7 Up Restored
Vendo 27b Pepsi
Vendo 81b
Westinghouse wd-5 / WE-6
3 Stoner Candy/Theatre/Junior/180
Bastian Blessing Bobtail soda fountain
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 04:13:46 pm »

I said from the start that the show will be a double edge sword.  There there will be less "finds" out there and certainly less deals now that Rick can ask $12,000 for a restored Vendo Milk machine.  In the long run, the pure hobbyists will suffer, the people that make income off the restorations will benefit in the short run but in the long run,. I think we all lose.

Just my .02

I agree that shows like Pawn Stars and Resto Rick will effect the market and our hobby but I suspect it will be short-lived.  TV viewers will tire of the shows like Pickers/Storage Wars/Pawn Stars etc after a while because they have a short attention span.  The hobbyists who are in it for the long haul can benefit from today's higher prices if you have to sell anything off.  I am sure it is helping our friends who do quality restorations as well.  In the end, we will be getting deals on a lot of this stuff down the road.

That's my .02 but restored it is worth $2! laugh Cool biggrin

drinking Tim drinking
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: