SMC Discussion Areas
August 24, 2024, 09:50:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Dry Slider - Ideal 55  (Read 5854 times)
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« on: September 03, 2011, 01:20:11 pm »

I picked this up this week from Detroit CL.  It's embossed, and the body is incredibly straight but was repainted many years ago.  Really nice shape. Unit is mostly complete...missing a flapper on the rack (if anyone has one, let me know), and cooler has no thermostat but gets ice cold.  I'm reluctant to part it out, but the demand is high now for racks and coins mechs.  The coin mech is a 10 cent box, but will accept nickels, dimes, or make change for a quarter.  I just bought a key for it today and is super clean on the inside (says warranty expires November 1956 on the inside of the box).  I have never seen a cleaner, original coin box (low boy frankenstein type). Let me know if anyone has interest in this cooler as it is.  I'll be keeping the cap catcher as it has all 4 grommets on it and is perfectly straight and rust free for my Hires slider.  Let me know if you want more pics.

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Pepsi, 7up VMC 81
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 01:32:34 pm »

That is too nice to part out. I wish I lived a few thousand miles closer
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 01:40:30 pm »

Dave...Come visit your buddies here in the States and take it home with you.  I'm sure it will fit in an oversized piece of luggage.  Not sure of the excess weight baggage fees that the airlines will charge though   glare  but I'm sure it won't be cost effective!

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
indymanjoe

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 02:19:50 pm »

wish i wouldev seen that coin box..how much? just finished cleaning the one i got from you this am it works perfectly now laugh
bremett
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 12:35:23 am »

I like it.
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 06:35:39 am »

Bob nononononononononono

It's to nice to part out. There are other basket cases worthy of being donors.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
cokecolaman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 09:47:37 am »

That's the first Canada Dry machine I've seen that I liked...I would have a hard time tearing it up.

VMC Coke 88 (nice original)
VMC Pepsi 81
VMC Orange Crush 81
VMC Squirt 81
VMC Dr. Pepper 81
VMC RC 81
VMC 7up 81 st
Vendo 44 original
Jacobs 56 Pepsi
Cavalier 33
MoonDawg
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 10:27:12 am »

He's not tearing it up guys, just selling the slider rack, coin mech. and cap catcher. The box and compressor are still intact and anyone that likes it enough to fork over some money can surely find his own parts to complete it.
       No harm was done in the unmaking of this machine!  biggrin

Glen
Slider-Bob
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 12:37:52 pm »

Thanks for the support Moondog.  The slider has been repainted, the wheels don't roll well, the lid is beat up, it's missing the bottle gate/flapper, and it has no thermostat installed, so it's not like it's a primo shape machine needing nothing.  It's looks great from 20 feet, but not so much at 2 feet.

Even the coin mech needs a little tweaking to get it to work right, so I may send it to Collecture for a minor repair. 

I've had a few inquirees for the racks, a couple nice offers ($350) for the coin box and I'm keeping the cap catcher for my Hires slider (I may even keep the coin box for my Hires as well). If I were to sell it with the pieces that are/will be missing, I may get a couple hundred bucks at best.  If I part it out, I can triple that amount.  Hate to say it, but it's the same way with old collector car parts (individual parts are worth more than the whole car).  I realize there are many purists out there who say to keep it original, and I can respect their opinion.  Problem is, it's not original (been repainted), parts are already missing, and respect doesn't pay the bills. Besides, I'd be using some of these parts to make my Hires machine more complete, which was my goal of buying the Canada Dry in the first place. I'm welcome to offers on the stripped down Canada Dry...even ridiculous ones, but you're on your own for shipping.  Throw an offer my way...and then you too could have a slider that will freeze your beer bottles until they explode!

Restored Coke 81D
Restored Popperette
Restored Wayne 60
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: