SMC Discussion Areas
July 04, 2024, 12:31:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideal 70 Slider Pics?  (Read 3082 times)
gct123

« on: August 20, 2011, 08:54:21 pm »

Does anyone have any pics of the tub section of an Ideal 70 slider?  When I bought mine the inside was partially disassembled and I cant tell what goes where or if I'm missing something.

Also, what's the best way to remove rusted and stripped screws (stainless trim screwed to galvanized)?  Do I need to drill them out?

Thanks,
Greg

bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 09:46:28 pm »

Sorry, no pictures, but for stripped out screws, I try to use a dremel and cut a new slot through the middle of the screw head.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 09:49:58 pm »

Or I like to use a screw extractor. They are bots that go into your drill run the drill backwards and they bite into the screw and remove it. For rusty screw it often snaps the head off but it does the job.
Wojcik
25 Cent Member

GO WINGS!!!

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 09:58:04 pm »

Auto part stores sell a penetrating oil called Sea Foam that works good on rusty screws.

1941 Stoner Theater Candy  (unrestored)
1947 Pop'Corn Sez Warmer  (restored)
1920's Coca-Cola themed cash register
S & S 700 7up ice chest
Vendo 81D
gct123

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 10:51:04 pm »

Those sound like some good ideas, thanks
Ken R
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 04:18:22 pm »

To avoid stipping the head of the screw, if it's not already done, I usually take a couple of days and soak them really good with a penetrating oil, like WD40 or similar product.  I put it on for a day, then go back the next day and put some more on, then wait another day or so after that to give the oil plenty of time to do its magic.  The oil will usually work its way in pretty good and loosen it up.  When attempting to remove the screw itself, make sure your driver bit is seated completely in the screw and be sure to apply pressure against the screw to avoid slippage.  Apply gentle but steady pressure to unscrew it.  Doesn't always work, but I've had pretty good luck by taking my time with it rather than rushing it and stripping it out.  Once stripped or broken, you may run the risk of causing more damage to the part itself and not just the screw.  Just my technique.  If all else fails of course, dremels, extractors, and drills work great also.

Ken

Vendolator VMC-149
Vendolator VF-56-7
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 04:29:05 pm »

I've had good luck with PB-Blaster. Haven't tried Sea Foam.
Creighton
gct123

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 06:14:52 pm »

Thanks Ken, Creighton
indymanjoe

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 07:17:05 pm »

To avoid stipping the head of the screw, if it's not already done, I usually take a couple of days and soak them really good with a penetrating oil, like WD40 or similar product.  I put it on for a day, then go back the next day and put some more on, then wait another day or so after that to give the oil plenty of time to do its magic.  The oil will usually work its way in pretty good and loosen it up.  When attempting to remove the screw itself, make sure your driver bit is seated completely in the screw and be sure to apply pressure against the screw to avoid slippage.  Apply gentle but steady pressure to unscrew it.  Doesn't always work, but I've had pretty good luck by taking my time with it rather than rushing it and stripping it out.  Once stripped or broken, you may run the risk of causing more damage to the part itself and not just the screw.  Just my technique.  If all else fails of course, dremels, extractors, and drills work great also. pb blaster,wd-40 etc...spray it and wait...then wait...spray,wait some more...repeat LOL.us DIY/selfers have the time to wait.ive freed alot of rusty bolts etc..by spraying with your fav penetrant and it seems to me that time works well with rusty screws,bolts.if possible a little heat does wonders as well with the above.Key words being "little heat" and "spray and wait" my 2cents..

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: