SMC Discussion Areas
July 02, 2024, 12:29:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pepsi Double Dot Ideal 85  (Read 2861 times)
Grey Wolf

« on: July 27, 2011, 04:37:08 pm »

What's up everyone?  I just joined the site and have been reading up on as much as I can on the machine I just picked up, as well as other model restorations and tips. This is my first soda machine, and I picked it up for cooler storage in my basement.
I have a few questions.  Are the 85 sliders more rare than the 55's?  I can't seem to find many parts for the 85.  I don't need much as it was in pretty good shape except for the red re-coat it was wearing when someone apparently turned it into a Coke vendor.  The part I most need is the top lid gasket.  Fun-tronics only has the one for a 55, and Soda Jerk only has an aftermarket one that is not an original design.  Apart from that, all I have to replace is the wiring harness to ensure it doesn't start a fire due to cracking cords, and the side door seal.
Here are a few pictures of the unit as purchased, and after disassembly.  The box is currently at the media blasters, and the tub/insert has been cleaned, sanded, primed and hammer-coated. Any input from you guys would be appreciated.

Well, I have to resize my pics.  I'll post them when I do.
Grey Wolf

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 04:51:52 pm »

mznb1u
Soda Jerks

Those Who Stay Will be Champions!

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:52:43 pm »

Welcome aboard!  It will be interesting to follow your restoration.  I am sure somebody on the site who has restored an ideal can help with the gasket issue.  The Pepsi guys will also be able to help with paint codes.

drinking Tim drinking
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 08:57:48 am »

THe 85's are not more rare, but due to the bigger size, not alot of people collect or even attempt to restore them.. hence most of the parts suppliers don't make or stock parts for them as the demand is not there.

still an nice cooler, and most parts like gaskets and wiring harnesses should work from the vendors... but as far as a lid.. that might be hard to find,, might have to get one made.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
Grey Wolf

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 09:50:23 am »

Thanks guys.  I already have paint in hand ready to spray as soon as the box comes back from media blasting (hopefully today).  Not a perfect match, but it seems that most people get close or pick the Pepsi Blue they like best.  I just took the compressor cover in to NAPA and got the closest match.  A little darker than the original blue, but I kind of wanted it a shade or 2 darker to begin with.
The lid is actually in decent shape.  It has a few dings here and there, but I did my best in tapping them out.  With a good polish, it should look pretty good.  I just need to replace the particle board liner with plywood to get rid of the musty smell.  I wish I could find an original style gasket that screws to the lid, but it looks like I will have to use the one from Soda Jerk that glues to the body.

Does anyone know which decal, if any, went on the side door on this machine?  The ones I've seen have either been the bottle cap or the bottle, but not sure which one would go on this one.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: