SMC Discussion Areas
July 03, 2024, 01:52:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pepsi Thermometer  (Read 4777 times)
flippa
25 Cent Member

« on: July 06, 2011, 08:35:04 am »

I am interested in a thermometer that is being sold locally.  Owner is asking $80. 

Is this a fair price?  Have these been reproduced?  I have seen a bunch on ebay.

This link is not the one I am looking at but is the same type

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200626500281+&clk_rvr_id=246017836051
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 10:35:10 am »

These red thermometers are from the 80s I believe. I see them at flea markets all the time... from $20-50 range... I had one given to me.
nice but not antique.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
cola62
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 10:43:40 am »

I think this one was reproduced a few years back.  Turn it over and see if the housing around the glass is made of wood like the one you pictured. Usually the repo's don't use the wood and just mount the glass directly to the sign.  Based on the availability of this particular thermometer I would say $50 is tops I would pay even for an original.  There are always at least five of them on ebay at any given time.  

Greg
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 10:44:31 am »

Eric is right, nice, but buy one for 20, then use the other $60 for an authentic coke bottle Therm

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Chedki
25 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 11:45:27 am »

Repros have been made of the Coke bottle thermometers. How do you tell the real ones from repros ?

Royal Crown Cola Ideal 55 slider
Nichol Kola Quikold Standard
Eric
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 12:45:07 pm »

Cokes have the glass tube glued in now... the older ones (up into the early 80s) used 2 pieces of wire to “clamp” or fasten the
thermometer rod in.
Names like “Robertson” and a “D” (Dom-----) name are on the base/bottom of the older Cokes.. then there is one with no name on the
Coke with metal clamps/fasteners... then they went to glue... these aren't really repros Coke just kept making them...

Kenny Seah repro'd several larger thermometers (shape of the Pepsi) from Stout... and used wood also but his are numbered and dated...
Hires and Frosie Root Beer are a couple example of his repros....
This Red Pepsi is a fantasy piece. I don't believe there was a one made in the 50s with that art and logo.

Eric

WANTED:
Embossed Quikold Standard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: