SMC Discussion Areas
July 03, 2024, 01:22:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know anything about Triumph Spitfires?  (Read 5974 times)
JBVending

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 09:53:30 am »

Another thought for a fun car in that price range is a dune or rail buggy if its used as a second car on sunny days. I am 66 yrs old and drive a rail buggy and a 2 seat sports car for fun cars. Choice is yours, a little box with 4 wheels and nobody will even notice, or a 2 seat roadster that will turn heads Smiley
Compare car ads for 2500 and see what you get.

JB
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 10:56:52 am »

Thats what I thought. At $2,500 I could afford for some problem. No the motor has not been touched but he did offer to let me take it anywhere I wanted to get it checked. That is pretty confident. The guy has had the car for 14 years and is the second owner. I don't think he is selling due to problems as he is a mechanic and owns his own shop. I just think after after 14 years its time to get something else. I am thinking about it.

On another note I am also thinking about a Jeep CJ5. I just want a fun toy to play with and drive on the weekends. I know a jeep is on the other side of the spectrum but they are fun and simple. The one I am looking at has a 302 ford V8 in it. I am mostly a Chevy guy but the 302 is a very common motor and parts are cheap. Its just a beet up old Jeep for $2500. If I buy a jeep I want it to be rough so I can go out in the woods with it and not worry about scratching it up.. Its not a looker but rust free and runs good and local.

I don't know what to do. I need a garage. I am in an apartment right now and am looking for a house to buy. Unfortunately my grandpa passed away and left me some money. I know he wanted me to buy a house and he would want me to have fun with it too and buy a toy to play with. That is how he was too. EIther the triumph and the Jeep I think I could turn around and sell for what I have in them at any time. I would prefer the triumph but the wife wants a Jeep.
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 09:54:44 pm »

Being a former auto mechanic, my recommendation is to run from that car. After getting paid to work on cars all day long, the last thing any mechanic wants to do is work on their own for free. I got into working on cars so I didn't have to pay someone else. After a few years, I didn't want to touch my own, including changing oil and other basic maintenance. I've been out of it for 15 years now and I still pay someone to change my oil and rotate my tires. $10G in tools sitting in the garage that don't get used.

What year CJ?

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
Marvin
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 09:50:14 am »

Being a former auto mechanic, my recommendation is to run from that car. After getting paid to work on cars all day long, the last thing any mechanic wants to do is work on their own for free. I got into working on cars so I didn't have to pay someone else. After a few years, I didn't want to touch my own, including changing oil and other basic maintenance. I've been out of it for 15 years now and I still pay someone to change my oil and rotate my tires. $10G in tools sitting in the garage that don't get used.

What year CJ?

Plumbers always have dripping faucets.  Painters houses need to be painted. 
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 07:00:03 pm »

The CJ-5 is a 1975 with a ford V8 302. Not a bad ride but still just a beater to pound on in the woods and in the mud. if I buy a jeep I want something I can hit something on accident or scrape the side on a stump and not give a darn about the paint. Maybe even a hammer and a spray can to fix it. It would just be to have fun on the weekends. I have been around 50's and 60's american cars (Mostly GM's) all my life. Working on a carburated american V8 I am not worried about. Its working on that little Brittish 4 cyl that I may not easily get parts for that worries me. Both the Jeep and the 302 I can get parts in one of 1000 catalogs or at the local pull and pay scrap yard.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: