SMC Discussion Areas
July 01, 2024, 10:03:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammertone - The Proper Way to Apply  (Read 6439 times)
RetroMe
5 Cent Member

« on: September 28, 2010, 08:25:33 am »

OK guys. I know there has been a lot of discussion on the Hammertone paints. However, is there a best way to apply to get a perfect "Hammered" appearance all over?  Several thin coats, heavy coats, cross spraying in different directions, etc. What is your experience? I have been experimenting and cant seem to get a consistent hammered appearance all over.  darn Looking for Ye Wisdom....

Craig - RetroME
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 08:41:37 am »

I've had best luck by doing the following
Put the can in some hot water, and let it sit for a good ten minutes...
shake it well.
Whatever you painting, lay it down flat and paint down on it (watch for drips however from the nozzle) , if your spraying something that is vertical, you get small "Teardrop" looking runs it I have found.
I put it on in a heavy coat, the paint is designed to go on and then whatever chemical is in it, makes the paint "pool" up a bit and create that hammered look.
as far as consisitency... I don't think it's designed for that, it's suppose to look random..

I usually prime what I'm doing first, with the same or similar base color, then hit it with one heavy coat of Hammered while it's laying down, you won't get runs and will get a nice even coat.

again watch for the drips out of the nozzle , wipe it often.

Good luck!

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
zadd
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 02:59:30 pm »

best results I have found is to buy it in quarts and get the proper reducer for it and thin it about 2 to 1 or up to 80% and just spray it like you would your machine . Nice even wet coats . Looks great 

Zadd
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Bottle Machine
Dr Pepper Queen Anne Can Machine
7up Ideal 55 slider
Vendo 81D
VMC 33D
Nehi Pelco Koolie
tim

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 06:58:58 pm »

I noticed that the spray in the can does not come out in an even coat there is multiple colors when using the silver.  If a person uses the quarts and thins it does it come out as one color and not have darker spots?  I am thinking of using it on my evaporator.  Please let me know if it is worth buying the equipment for spraying the items instead of using the cans.  As you can tell I am a newb at the reconditioning.  I am working on my first which is a vendo 110 round top with a small coin door.

Thanks in advance
Tim
SIGNGUY
Soda Jerks

Collector of Ol Smoothie Rootbeer

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 07:57:34 pm »

iF your just doing one machine and small parts, use the cans, ... what i do is keep them at least inside temperature and before I use them I acually put them in some warm water for 10 minutes or so .. it helps with the propulsion... then shake them very good at first and during use.. and use even sweeping coats.. practice on somethign else if until you get it right.. it is pretty easy to use.

Soda Machine Enthusiast since 1996!
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 09:48:05 am »

The key to using the hammertone spray bombs is first making sure the can is shaken well and warm as Signguy mentioned.. Then, to apply, make sure you start the spray off the workpiece and use smooth, even strokes, with a small overlap.  Also, travel in the same direction with each stroke. Having the workpiece flat also helps a bit. It takes a bit of practice, but it can come out with a nice durable finish. I usually lay down one thin coat, wait a few min and then put down a pretty thick coat. If I'm not happy, or see a spot that didn't blend well, I'll give another coat going in the perpendicular direction..

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: