SMC Discussion Areas
June 15, 2024, 03:41:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More new toys - old radios  (Read 3095 times)
bubba
Soda Jerks

« on: October 20, 2010, 07:22:08 pm »

I hit the jackpot today.. I was out with my old timer friend today for some work. We stopped by one of his buddies house that used to restore old radios, jukeboxes, and other stuff. He is now confined to a wheelchair and can no longer work on this stuff. Today I picked up a Philco 38-4 console radio and 2  RCA Radiola'sa #17 and a #18. The 2 RCA's are in very decent cabinet condition and the Philco will need to have the wood refinished. Also in the package was an Atwater Kent. I have to recap this for my friend.. its the same radio his father had when he was young, so it has sentimental value to him. I need to start digging around for schematics and other info on these machines.. I can't imagine capping these is all that hard, although I heard that they used to cover the bottom of the boards with some type of tar making it very miserable to clean and work on. I'll have some pictures as soon as Picasa finishes their maintenance.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 07:41:52 pm »

Great scores!!
I bought the "Photofact Folder" for my Philco from a Tom Blake in South Bend, IN. on eBay. It appears orginal not scanned and has everything one would need to know for a rebuild. $15 I think.

Have the Giants game on now. Nothing like the sound of baseball on an old radio.

Creighton

bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 07:48:19 pm »

Thats awesome Creighton.. I went right from work today to my sons football practice. The Philco sticking up in the back of the truck. I got more comments from people, including one of the little kids on the team about how cool it was. Even my wife wasn't shooting it down. Now I think I need to quit my job so I have time to work on these things. I've got too many projects now and less than no time to work on them.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 08:04:17 pm »

Would be a very happy camper just restoring odd things from the past. Dang bills every month are the problem :-)
Creighton

GreginNM
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 12:36:11 am »

Hey Bubba, I have the schematics for most all radios from the '20s and '30s at home in my Riders Manuals.  I could copy and send them to you when I get home.  That will not be until the first week of November.  If you want, just let me know.  What model Atwater Kent is it?  They aren't too bad to recap, I've done several myself.  The older ones are easier to work on!  I've always had a soft spot for Radiolas and A-Ks!

Greg

Vendo: 39B, Standard
Jacobs: 35
Ideal: 35 DP
Westinghouse: WB-66-MD, WD-10, Junior, Standard
SelectiVend: S-48 DP x 2
SelVend: S-47 7up
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 05:47:50 am »

Greg.... thanks.. that would be awesome.. I really appreciate it. I'm in no rush for it. I haven't found much on the AW yet. Its a table top model similar in size to the radiolas, but its in a metal box. I looked through one of the AW sites and didn't see the exact one pictured. I'll have some pictures uploaded today and posted. I'll take a good look at the AW and see if I can find some more info.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 06:29:11 am »

Awseome find!  biggrin

Brian
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 06:46:18 am »

Thanks!... The Atwater Kent is a model 44. I just did some searching and it looks like it came with an optional stand.. I'd love to find a stand for it. 

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: