SMC Discussion Areas
July 01, 2024, 10:10:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a bench polisher/grinder.  (Read 2639 times)
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« on: October 18, 2010, 05:27:41 pm »

Want variable speed and this is all I can find.
Anyone have any idea's?
Thanks in advance!
Creighton
http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-GR275-Variable-Grinder-Tool-Less/dp/B0007WWHZC
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 05:29:32 pm by Creighton » Logged
loman4ec
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 05:39:44 pm »

Here are several at Harbor Freight. I used to have the 6" grinder for $39.99. It wasn't fancy but it worked great. Also if you want something really cheap gas pump motors work great for a home made grinder/polisher. However for only $39.99 you can't go wrong with the Harbor freight one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=&q=bench+grinder
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 05:46:29 pm »

Saw that one. Have around 150 aluminum Canteen vend stack flaps to do and think variable speed is required.
Thanks,
Creighton
tooth350
5 Cent Member

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 07:26:28 pm »

The tractor supply store has them      i bought 1 from them for 20dollars    works great
tooth350
5 Cent Member

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 07:28:14 pm »

also see if any Dental labs in your area may have one, it'll be more cost but it will last for up to 20 years.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 05:30:49 am »

Check Craigslist as well. I see them frequently and they are generally of good quality. The kind you would find in a industrial setting but still powered by 115VAC, Single Phase. I would have to say that the best (and the costliest) would have to be buffers made by Baldor.

I would personally stay away from any of the grinders if you are planning on doing buffing and polishing. The shaft on a grinder is typically pretty short and when outfitted with the proper arbor, if needed,  and buffing wheel it doesn't allow the operator to work on very large parts. Buffers have longer shafts and are purpose-built to handle bigger jobs and give a lot more lattitude for movement of the work peice which also makes it safer.

When it comes to buffers, you definitely get what you pay for! I bought a 3/4" HP Craftsman Buffer for $99 and it only lasted 2 years, granted, I put it through it's paces and did a LOT of buffing and polishing.

In my opinion, spend a little more than you planned and get a nice used or new buffer and drop the $40 on a grinder that will get infrequent use.

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: