SMC Discussion Areas
June 19, 2024, 02:25:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dixie Narco 180 Evap fan  (Read 3674 times)
brodiew
« on: June 26, 2010, 10:25:25 pm »

While I was away, my daughter heard an awful noise coming from the machine and unplugged it.  When I got back I plugged it in and all was good.   About a week later, I was away again and now my son hears it and unplugs it.  Again, I plug it in no problems until yesterday.  Was hearing a thumping type sound and I figured out ( at least I think I did) that it was the evap fan making the racket!  I managed to get the thing out, but it looks OLD.  I would like to get a replacement, but not sure of the best place to look.  Seems the last sites that were recommend to me no longer have web sites. 

Any ideas??
JBVending

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 11:20:26 am »

Could it have been ice build up on evaporator coil and hitting fan blade? That may explain why it runs for a time before it makes noise.

JB
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 12:11:21 pm »

try grainger's website, it's called a unit-bearing motor, just match the speed ( usually 1550 rpm) & watts
( usually 6-15 watts ) & the rotation ( marked on your motors end-cap CW=clockwise CCW=counterclockwise, also note that most motors of this type indicate rotation as viewed from the shaft-end as you look at the fan blades, but some refer to the lead-end as viewed from the rear of the motor were the wire-leads enter it) if you give them the part no. off of you motor, they should be able to cross-reference it.   yours says 6-Watts, 1550 RPM, CW you can go a little higher in watts, but not RPM, make SURE of the rotation, (they don't work backwards & you can't just reverse the fan blades either.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/unit-bearing-motors/hvac-motors/motors/ecatalog/N-9yd?op=search
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 12:13:44 pm by johnieG » Logged

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
brodiew
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 01:07:23 pm »

@ JBVending - I did not see any ice on the coils, but then again, I did not look too hard either.  Might have to clean the fan up, reinstall it and do a check when it happens again. 

@ johnieG - Thanks for the Grainger idea and website link.  Looks like I will have no problem replacing the fan if is indeed faulty.

Thanks to both of you for the help!

Bill
johnieG
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

This is fine...everythings going to be OK....

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 04:13:28 pm »

No prob', when these fan motors ( unit-bearing design) go bad, the axle/shaft will "walk" in 7 out of the motor bode, they always have some horizontal play to them, but anything over abut 1/4" is excessive and it will cause the fan to strike & "screech" across the backside of the evaporator fins, or the motor bearings themselves will "howl" ...It's more critical up near the evaporator as opposed to the condenser as the fan is usually quite close to the fins up there.

Spoon-feeding Newbies since 2001...Wink
Yeah..220,221 whatever it takes.
Remember, all it needs is a shot of Freon!
The Vendo V-83 is the '59 Edsel of the coke machine world. ;p
Spray painting does NOT restore a compressor
11 is louder than 10...
"Hope" is good, but it's not an action plan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: