SMC Discussion Areas
July 04, 2024, 07:40:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drive In Speakers  (Read 7295 times)
cdc1960
10 Cent Member

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 10:24:34 pm »

Very nice job Pat... what are you using to polish?... I've done a couple of sets, and am beadblasting with aluminum oxide in the blast cabinet, but haven't tried polishing them...

Chris

Vendo 44, 63
Cornelius SVM48E3, Cornelius Diplomat
AMI D80, G120
Gotlieb Genie
Bennett 956
Eco 240
Theatre Popcorn machine
Watling Horoscope Penny Scale
gum machines, parking meter, taxi meter, pay phone, etc...
it's getting out of hand..
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 10:49:23 pm »

Where do you guys find these speakers? Would be fun to find some like they had at the drive in here.
Pat Pixley
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 11:34:27 pm »

Very Nice Pat!!
Many good times at the "Rocket Drive In" Sadly long gone. You can fit 3 in the trunk of a 65 mustang and one more hiding under a blanket on the back seat floor.
Creighton

WOW !!! What a tight fit  in a Mustang   biggrin

Very nice job Pat... what are you using to polish?... I've done a couple of sets, and am beadblasting with aluminum oxide in the blast cabinet, but haven't tried polishing them...

Chris
Chris, I  did sand them down and then hit them them in my blastcabinet with glassbead  Then just went to town on polishing started with Jewelers Rouge then finished with chrome Green polish.

check out Ebay under Drive in Speakers  and for parts I like this guy  http://www.driveinmemories.com/ he has parts
and seem to be alright on his price's smile.
BrianB
Soda Jerks

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 10:50:42 am »

That speaker set and pole look great Pat, awesome job!!

On finding them. Ebay is good as well as swap meets and yard sale's. I found mine another way.

We have (2) Drive-in Theaters within 30 minutes of the house. The one north of me still uses field speakers and has the low power FM transmitter for tuning in via car radio. The other one south of me just uses FM. We were at a Saturday night double feature and took a journey over to the snack bar. I asked the manager if they had any of the old speakers left. He directed me to the owner who was busy manning the ticket booth. When I mentioned the conversation that I had with his concession stand manager he replied that he thought he might have some laying around and that if I came back the next night he would take a look for me.

Welp, I showed up the next night and he led me into the storeroom behind the concession stand. He produced two Projected Sound speakers that were in great shape. I asked what he wanted for them and he replied, "Does $10 sound ok?" I jumped on it!! He then asked if I liked "old tube type stuff". I said that I did and he produced the original 50's vintage, field speaker amplifier! I ended up walking out of there with the amp and the two speakers for $30!

Bottom line, if you have an active drive-in near you, just ask, what's the worst they can say? biggrin

Brian
cdc1960
10 Cent Member

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 01:25:46 pm »

WOW !!! What a tight fit  in a Mustang   biggrin
 Chris, I  did sand them down and then hit them them in my blastcabinet with glassbead  Then just went to town on polishing started with Jewelers Rouge then finished with chrome Green polish.

check out Ebay under Drive in Speakers  and for parts I like this guy  http://www.driveinmemories.com/ he has parts
and seem to be alright on his price's smile.

Thanks Pat, I'm going to try the polish

Chris

Vendo 44, 63
Cornelius SVM48E3, Cornelius Diplomat
AMI D80, G120
Gotlieb Genie
Bennett 956
Eco 240
Theatre Popcorn machine
Watling Horoscope Penny Scale
gum machines, parking meter, taxi meter, pay phone, etc...
it's getting out of hand..
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 02:48:42 pm »

That speaker set and pole look great Pat, awesome job!!

On finding them. Ebay is good as well as swap meets and yard sale's. I found mine another way.

We have (2) Drive-in Theaters within 30 minutes of the house. The one north of me still uses field speakers and has the low power FM transmitter for tuning in via car radio. The other one south of me just uses FM. We were at a Saturday night double feature and took a journey over to the snack bar. I asked the manager if they had any of the old speakers left. He directed me to the owner who was busy manning the ticket booth. When I mentioned the conversation that I had with his concession stand manager he replied that he thought he might have some laying around and that if I came back the next night he would take a look for me.

Welp, I showed up the next night and he led me into the storeroom behind the concession stand. He produced two Projected Sound speakers that were in great shape. I asked what he wanted for them and he replied, "Does $10 sound ok?" I jumped on it!! He then asked if I liked "old tube type stuff". I said that I did and he produced the original 50's vintage, field speaker amplifier! I ended up walking out of there with the amp and the two speakers for $30!

Bottom line, if you have an active drive-in near you, just ask, what's the worst they can say? biggrin

Oh man that is awesome! Closest places around here are around 100 miles away but that is not going to stop me from asking though.
scalebowler
Soda Jerks

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 12:49:51 am »

I actually found a drive in about an hour away from where I might be going on vacation and I am thinking of calling them before I head down there. Do they have people there during the day at the drive in or should I call them at night when they are open?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: