SMC Discussion Areas
July 04, 2024, 06:01:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Greatest Game...  (Read 3900 times)
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« on: June 09, 2010, 06:21:10 pm »

Gentlemen (And Marsha if you are following)

As you know, in a very short while the world of sport will come alive with a small game known everywhere in the world outside of the USA as football (that's because the game is to kick the ball) and within the US as soccer (something to do with you guys having your own game called football, played by a load of pansies dressed up in protective gear who hold the ball in their hands)

Well my small nation (the country that invented the game and gave it to the world as a present) has the privillage of playing the USA in their opening match.

Due to some very bad planning on my part I find myself here in Florida for the first game. I have looked at the TV I have in my rental and managed to turn it on. Have flicked through all the channels and occasionally I can find a broadcast that isn't an Advert for Piles Cream or Trapped Wind (you guys seem really hung up with what comes out the other end)  anyways,

I've looked through all my channels on the Brighthouse network and can't find any mention of "The world's greatest Game." Does anyone know if there is a channel out there that is going to broadcast the game live? Otherwise I'm going to have to rely on a very poor internet connection and the good old BBC.

Help a guy out someone....

Dave

Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 06:45:51 pm »

Hey Dave,
First you will need to sort out whether you have sat or cable TV. Then who the provider is. Web search may find the programe schedule. A local newspaper may have the TV listings.

Carefull with the "pansies", most are at least 6' 220 lbs. and enjoy knocking folks into the middle of next week :-)

Also a little event "24 Hours of Lemans" this weekend. 3 Ford GT's are entered.

You're in FL, retirement capital of the US. What comes out is a big concern to the 80+ crowd.

Hope you are having a great time!!
Creighton
collecture
Soda Jerks

Tom

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 06:50:09 pm »

I'm sure a sports bar will have it playing or could tune to it.
The channel is probably not carried at your Villa  biggrin .
ESPN (one of them) might carry some games, but more than likely is on a sports network.
You have to pay extra for the sports TV package and most vacation lodging probably doesn't buy it.

Hope you are having a great time Panzy!  tounge

Cav 27, 33, CS-55E-2, 72
S-48 DP
Ideal CC 35, Barq's 55
1930s DP Counter Cooler
Vendo Coin Changers (ea. style - orig w/ stand)
Vendo Junior (rest.), 23 Deluxe, 39D, 44, 56RT, 80SS, 81A (orig), 81D, 6 C.V.
VMC 27, 27A, 81D DP, 110 DP
Westy WC-42-T, WC-44SK, WD-5(2), WB60
Victor C-14
bubba
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 06:57:29 pm »

Dave..According to my satellite guide, the game should air Saturday 2:30pm on ABC Network, which should be available in the place you are staying. For a full game schedule and what channel, check out http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/soccer/2010_world_cup/schedule . It looks like all the games will be broadcast on ESPN or ABC network.

Ken

V-63 -Bottles
2-Cavalier USS-64
VMC ST56B Royal Crown - being built
Vendo HA56C Coke
2-V63C DP
V63C Coke
U-Select-It 5cent candybar machine
Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 07:10:46 pm »

ABC is much like the BBC, it's a given it will be available, the chanel number assigned to it shouldn't be difficult  to locate
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 08:10:11 pm by Kilroy » Logged

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Jim
Administrator
Soda Jerks

#1 Soda Jerk!

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 08:05:44 pm »

Dave,

Why didn't you contact me...?
I know we were not able to get together on your last visit; however, I was in Orlando today at Islands of Adventure ! ! !
Aaaarrrgghhh ! ! !

Oh yea, I don't watch soccer so it would have been perfect timing ! ! !

My six cents,

Jim

davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 08:24:53 pm »

Gentlemen

Thank you for your kind assistance. I do believe I will be able to locate ABC ...

Jim.. It was all fairly last minute. Although booked a few months ago family that had agreed to go with us pulled out right at the end and my mother had a heart attack three weeks before we left so right up to the last we weren't sure what we were doing.

Just by chance, we were also at Islands of Adventure today... Only managed a couple of rides.

Are you around again in the next week???

Dave
Kapri
5 Cent Member

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 12:18:59 pm »

No football & wall to wall sunshine? Sounds like my idea of heaven!
You'll be telling me there's no Big Brother over there next.
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 03:35:11 pm »

Dave,
Just saw an advert it is also on BBC America 8pm PST Fri.
Up for a wager? I say USA 3-1 :-)
Creighton
davethebirdman
Soda Jerks

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 04:16:41 pm »

If the US beat us 3-1 we may as well pack up and come home.. That said a lot of your players do play first team football in the English Premier league so its not going to be any walk over...

Don't tell me I'm missing Big Brother as well.. Well that's it they can keep their 95 degree heat and villa pool, I'm coming home.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: