SMC Discussion Areas
July 04, 2024, 07:07:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current pricing trends  (Read 2306 times)
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« on: November 26, 2009, 05:25:06 pm »

I was out in the garage rearranging things and I came across an old price guide for soda machines. When I say old I mean it isn't too recent. Dated 2004 by Steve Ebner, it is called Vintage Cola machines price guide, Volume I and II. It is just a fold up sheet that appears to be priced at $4.00 nd was from Funtronics. 

Looking at some of the prices, and I will use the V-23 Deluxe as an example, I found the prices to be way high.

$450 for a rough example, $1000 for a good example and $2400 for an excellent restored example. 

Has anyone here used this price guide and does it fall in line with the current trends in the market?

What is everyones take on the current market and the use of older guides as a reference?
ss540
10 Cent Member

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 05:37:40 pm »

I have that guide also and since it's the only one I am aware of, it's what I use.  Looking at some ebay ads for V 81's, I see resto's as high as $7,000, but I wonder if any sell for that price.  I have a nicely restored 81 and I would like to think I could get 7k for it, but it seems like the Ebner guide is more realistic at $5400.

Down in Texas
RC kid
Soda Jerks

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 09:19:25 pm »

I have always used the Jeff Walters Classic Soda Machines as a guide and then allowed a little for inflation, or in the current circumstances, deflation / price adjustment.

But I have notice that the really nice items such as the V-81, or the really rare stuff like the Mills still go for a lot.

I placed the Steve Ebner price guide with the others and will use it for cross reference. But I will always use this web site as a source for current trends in pricing and popularity. 
Creighton
Global Moderator
Soda Jerks

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 11:09:40 pm »

My thoughts...
Coke machines, Cars, Jukeboxes whatever... The top end collectors are filling gaps in collections. They will continue to buy whatever fits the collection not too concerned about the cost. Good reason to buy high quality orginal machines when possible.

The guy that always wanted a machine isn't spending his money these days on "extra's". Not sure the roundtops will ever recover to previous prices. The generation that says "I recall those" and want's to buy one are sadly fading fast.

This hobby will survive if the kids get a chance to experience the machines. Was at Moondawgs place a few years back and he gave a nickel to Linda's kid to get a Coke. Happy kid. Spread the joy!!!

Off soapbox :-)
Creighton

Kilroy
Soda Jerks

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 08:49:13 am »

I use price guides as a reference point,  but never the end all, be all to pricing. Personally, I think the pricing listed is usually higher than the market, but as it was mentioned, the final proice depends on too many variables
I think a lot of it depends on the area, and how well the seller has advertised the item. 
Ebay and Craigslist has really altered the playing field, I found my first machine  on Ebay,  and only a few miles from my house.  Years of spot checking the Antiques  column in the local want ads, flea markets and the occasional visit to the Arcade warehouse never turned up a thing.

"Restored they go for $6-7,000!!"
Member : Michigan Mafia
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: